• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

ProRAW into LIGHTROOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEB

Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom (Cloud) & Mobile
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi,
Just to be clear from the outset. I use Lightroom on my PC desktop. I believe “Lightroom” is the title to use to describe the cloud version as opposed to Lightroom Classic. I DO NOT use Lightroom Classic!!! I also use Lightroom Mobile on my iPhone 13 Pro Max and iPad.

For several months I have been using the native Apple camera app exclusively in an attempt to keep things simple. I am very happy with the results photographically and also the integration of .jpg images with Lightroom - between the native camera app the iPhone Photos app and Lightroom Mobile and Lightroom(on PC).

I do not capture in RAW very often but would like to on certain occasions. I believe I understand the difference between pure RAW and Apple ProRAW and would probably be happy with ProRAW, particularly if that would enable me to stick with one camera app ( iPhone Native App).

My usual workflow is to review my images in the iPhone Photos App which tags the image as Jpg or RAW accordingly. I then send selected images to Lightroom. The app advises that x shared photos will be imported by Lightroom on next app launch and offers the opportunity to “launch Lightroom now”. It will do that but any RAW images appear as .jpg in Lightroom Mobile. I have assumed that when using the mobile version of Lightroom it converts RAW to .jpg, however when opening the PC version of Lightroom, captured RAW images are only in .jpg format.

How do I get my RAW images into Lightroom on my PC?

Thanks in advance.

John

Attached:
IMG_1062.jpeg
IMG_1061.jpeg
Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 1.12.02 PM.jpg

Thanks @Merak75 very helpful. Can I get you to go to LR's Settings > About Lightroom to confirm the version number so I can follow up on the bug report please? Thanks!

Thanks @Merak75 very helpful. Can I get you to go to LR's Settings > About Lightroom to confirm the version number so I can follow up on the bug report please? Thanks!
I will verify this again on the iPhone 13 Pro Max after work in a few hours

I will verify this again on the iPhone 13 Pro Max after work in a few hours
Well the iPhone 13 is my wife’s and she went out of town for an emergency. So I will not be able to confirm anytime soon. But I know that I have used the UW on her phone in LrM so I am 99.99% sure it works.

Hi,
I thought I should provide an update to my original question regarding getting RAW images into Lightroom that have been captured using the native iPhone Camera app and have been stored in the native Photos app by the Camera app.
I was trying to send from the Photos app the occasional RAW image along with jpg’s to Lightroom which would only receive .jpg versions.
What I have found is that if I reverse the process and collect them from within Lightroom both RAW’s (DNG) and jpg’s appear. This reversing of the process is not a problem for me.
This may be of interest to anybody, who, like me, prefers to use the iPhone Camera app.
Thanks to everybody that contributed.

John

Can I confirm this is the LR mobile camera that's able to access the ultra wide lens while in DNG format, and not the built in camera?
Not trying to be pedantic, but just to be clear the Camera and all its lenses is HARDWARE built in to the iPhone. Photos and Lightroom are two of the Software apps that control the camera lenses either partially or wholly.

I’m not sure if this is now irrelevant but just for accuracy I can confirm that I can capture an image in DNG in the Lightroom mobile app with all three lenses using my iPhone 13 Pro Max.
John

Why? The Apple Photos App has no significant features over the Lightroom (mobile) app.
This may be correct for pure ProRaw photography, but there are other use cases. Many iPhone owners (as also I) use a mix of shooting modes such as the new 2x lens on the 14 pro series (this is using a 2x crop on the 1x lens in 48mp mode, leaving a 12mp cropped image), portrait mode, several video modes, etc. The native iPhone photos app offers 12/48mp control of the 1x lens. Honestly the UI is easier to use (for me), especially selecting 0,5x 1x 2x 3x and reviewing photos with the info panel works easier too.
That said, I will give the Lr camera app a good test drive soon.

I’m not sure if this is now irrelevant but just for accuracy I can confirm that I can capture an image in DNG in the Lightroom mobile app with all three lenses using my iPhone 13 Pro Max.
John
Same here for 14 pro max, although the 2x “camera” (the crop option) is not selectable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back