• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.
  • It's Lightroom update time again! New cameras (including the Canon R5/R6), lens profiles and bug fixes, and the ability to disable built-in lens corrections for specific new cameras. Here's the usual list

Progress bar?

johngalt

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Hi,

I'm attempting to make the change to Lightroom from another
product.

I've managed to Import some 45,000 images without problem.

I soon realized that the DAM software I was using, or my
misunderstanding of Keywords, had made a mess of things.
I am now attempting to clean this problem up by going to a
hierarchy keyword list based on, Who, What, Where and When.

My question is when I move or rearrange images by Keywords
I notice that if I try to shutdown Lightroom after re-keywording
a lot of images I get a warning about writing metadata.

Is there a progress bar that shows this activity?

Thank you for any assistance you may provide.

Doug

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Hi, welcome to the forum.

Do you have 'auto-write XMP metadata' enabled? If so, that happens in the background so I don't believe you will see a progress bar.

You should see a progress bar for the actual application of keyword changes to a large group of images, though that is usually quite a quick process. I'm just guessing therefore that you have the auto-write setting enabled and you're closing LR with unsaved metadata. Possible?

johngalt

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Hi Jim,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Yes, Catalog Settings > Metadata > Automatically write changes to XMP is checked.

I haven't noticed any progress bar when I move one keyword under another or remove
a keyword from many images. When I say many I'm talking about around 300-400 images.

Should I refrain from shutting down Lightroom until such time as I no longer get the
metadata warning? What are the risks to my catalog if I do shutdown Lightroom during
this process? What are the risks of preforming these types of functions when the images
are not physically available to Lightroom. Say my catalog is on my laptop and my images
are stored on external drive at home?

P.S. I did purchase the Missing FAQ but didn't find these answers.

Again thank you for your time and effort on these questions Jim.

Doug

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
As I said, the progress bar will only appear for a couple of seconds, if at all (above the Navigator).

I don't use the auto-write setting myself, but my understanding is that you can close down LR with write operations still outstanding, and it will resume them when you restart....but I'm not 100% certain. And I couldn't find the answer in the FAQ either, though I expect Victoria will either fix it or tell us where it is! :D

Regarding the issue of the images being offline, then obviously Lightroom can't complete the process....but I don't know if you would get an error message or if Lightroom would patiently wait for the files to be brought back online.

If taking the files offline is a regular thing, it might be more prudent to either wait until the metadata write has completed, or consider switching to the manual Ctrl+S method (which would produce a progress bar, so you would see when it's complete). Page 322 of the FAQ!

johngalt

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Jim,

Thank you. Found page 322 and may consider only making wholesale changes only
when images and catalog are both available to Lightroom.

Doug

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
I don't use the auto-write setting myself, but my understanding is that you can close down LR with write operations still outstanding, and it will resume them when you restart....but I'm not 100% certain. And I couldn't find the answer in the FAQ either, though I expect Victoria will either fix it or tell us where it is! :D
Good question!!! I don't think that one's in there, so I've added it to my list, thanks.

Oh, and yes, it'll continue writing when they're next back online.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Good question!!! I don't think that one's in there, so I've added it to my list, thanks.

Oh, and yes, it'll continue writing when they're next back online.
Is this because of the "*.journal" file that is present as long as there are changes not written to the database?

mhilbush

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Yes, Catalog Settings > Metadata > Automatically write changes to XMP is checked.

I haven't noticed any progress bar when I move one keyword under another or remove
a keyword from many images. When I say many I'm talking about around 300-400 images.
Sorry, I'm still missing something. I'm seeing exactly what johngalt describes here. If I make a significant change to keywords, Lr chugs along in the background making all the changes; however, there is no progress bar displayed. Even when the changes are substantial enough to take 10, 20, 30 seconds, Lr displays no progress bar. When I quit Lr, I get the warning that the updates will resume when Lr starts up again. This is fine, but I'd really like to see the progress of the updates.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Writing to xmp is a background process. If xmp isn't updated because the file's offline or LR closes, it'll just pick up where it left off when they're next available. I wouldn't expect to see a progress bar for that kind of process, otherwise it would always be up there.

Clee, the journal file is to do with data being written to the catalog, rather than xmp - if it's still waiting to finish writing to the database, it'll get dropped in the journal file temporarily.