• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Programmatic Renaming of Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_DS256

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
LrC 11.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I developed a file naming convention for scans which I've discovered, after the fact, creates a problem and need to batch rename them all.

The convention is X-ggg-Y-nnn.ext where X is the of image (slide,film,print etc), ggg is the group (roll) number, Y is for thumbnail or full scan, and nnn is the unique image and ext is JPG or TIF. So for example, S-009-T-008.JPG is the 8th image in group 9 of slides. What I neglected to do is use a convention so thumbnails and full scans would reside next to each other in LrC when sorted by filename.

What I would like to do is that S-009-T-008.JPG and rename it to S-009-008-T.JPG. All numbers are justified to 3 positions so I have exact character positions I can work with but also have the dashes to find for separation.

Is there any plug-in that would do this? I can't find one. Any other ideas? Rescanning is not an option at this point.

Thanks

If you haven't done don't mind losing your edit history and collection participation (in other words are OK doing the rename outside of LrC and reimporting) there are a number of 3rd party file renaming tools. I use "Buld Rename Utility" https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/ which is free for non commercial use (Windows only). If you take this route, and have edited the images in LrC or updated metadata be sure to "Save Metadata to files" before running the rename tool.

Did you want to do this inside or outside of LR Classic? And have the images already been imported?

--Ken

What you want to do with the name is “X-ggg-nnn-Y.ext. “I seem to recall that John Beardsworth has a Lightroom plugin that is capable of swapping the “nnn” and the “Y” parts of the file name.
When “Y” is at the end of the Filename part, then the other like parts will sort together and the “F” and “T” will sort alphanumerically as you wish.

If John Beardsworth does not provide a reply here I’ll review his plugins to see which one you need to use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks all.
FWIW, I took the approach of thumbnails only so I could quickly scan all old slides and negatives to cull them. Much quicker than full scans in time and space. My wife has not identified some she wants printed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back