• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Profile Corrections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zanthe

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic CC
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
Is there a way to have Lightroom always automatically check the "Enable Profile Correction" box option when it recognizes a specific lens was used for the image?

I have Googled this ad nauseam and just can't seem to find an answer.

Right now I have to manually check that box for every photo which is a PITA.

You should do it the other way round. Enable this option with a known lens, and then click the Reset button while holding the Alt-key. That will give you a dialog in which you can update the camera defaults with the current settings.

Sorry I'm not following you.

When I go into the develop module for an image the file correction boxes are unchecked.

Once the box is checked the lens information shows below.

What I am asking is how (if possible) to have that box checked by default when LR detects a specific lens was used.

:coffee:

Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 9.51.34 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 9.51.46 AM.png

I know what you are asking and I answered it. Select an unedited image. Check the box (second screenshot), then update your camera defaults like I described. I would check Remove Chromatic Aberration too.

I know what you are asking and I answered it. Select an unedited image. Check the box (second screenshot), then update your camera defaults like I described. I would check Remove Chromatic Aberration too.
OK...will try that.

You might also consider, do you really need to always apply lens corrections? Applying them to every image will add a noticeable processor load in the develop module. I generally only use them in instances where the distortions are clearly visible and distraction, architectural, tall trees or a clear horizon.

On the other hand I do have it set to always Remove Chromatic Aberration.

-louie

Thanks for the replies folks.

Well i tried the steps @JohanElzenga suggested and sorry to say I must be dense.

I am not able to get LR to automatically check the "Enable profile Correction" box even after trying what ws suggested.Clearly I'm doing something wrong and BTW I'm on a Mac so there is not Alt key.

I went into an unedited photo that was using the lens in question and tried to follow the suggestions Johan gave me. When I went to the next photo the box was still uncheck even though LR recognizes the lens that was used to take the shot (it's there just very dark until the box is checked).

This lens has issues with vignetting ada some distortion especially at the wide end and checking the profile correction box seems to help in almost all situations.

Sorry to be so dense but I'm finding new things in LR all the time and trying to understand how to best deal with it. Having to manually always check the box for that lens can certainly be done but I thought it could be done automatically but obviously I'm not gettin in .

Ugh..

@LouieSherwin

The key on the Mac is called the Option key, but on every Mac keyboard nowadays it mentions Alt as well. I'm sorry but I can't explain it any better than I already did. Maybe now that you know the correct key, you could try it again because this is the way to do it.

Because this is a default, it only works on newly imported images however. That's why you don't see it when you go to the next image. To get it to work on an already imported image, you have to press the 'Reset' button. That will reset the image to the (now new) defaults.

The key on the Mac is called the Option key, but on every Mac keyboard nowadays it mentions Alt
Oh...lol...yeah right there in little tiny fonton the Option key is says "Alt"...

Now I might have it since i didn't realize once you set the new default that it would only apply it to a newly imported image. I'll try that.

Thanks for the clarification. .

So new problem that I don't understand.

With the new Panasonic G9 camera I brought when I go to the Lens Correction block and enable profile corrections it's showing "Make: Built In"

Never does this with any of my Canon Gear. What's the story? What's it mean? Does LR automatically correct the profile for this camera?

Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 1.38.41 PM.png

Does LR automatically correct the profile for this camera?
Yep. Most mirrorless cameras embed lens correction data in their raw files. LR uses that data to correct the image. You don't need to specify anything. It all happens automagically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back