• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

PROCESS

Status
Not open for further replies.

b. Bolt Photo

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
How do I find out what 'process' is used in the develop module? Clicking on the 'lightning' symbol only tells me what process number on a particular photo.

Thanks for your input,

Brian

Scroll down to the Calibration Panel.

The current process version is always used as a default in the Develop module. Images developed in older versions of LR will retain the process version used when that image was last developed. You can change the process version to use an older or newer process version. The process version determines which set of develop sliders are in effect. Generally, Adobe process versions have progressed with each later version producing a better rendering the the previous version. Personal preference may dictate using an older precessions version .

Good point to bring up. If it isn't on Process 5 then you will see this lighting bolt. Version 8 swithced to Process 5 so any files in previous versions will display the bolt.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 183
Forgot to say if you click on the bolt it will offer to update the file that is open or all the files.

Forgot to say if you click on the bolt it will offer to update the file that is open or all the files.
I was wondering about the same question, and I couldn't seem to do it. My original idea to update my entire catalog to PV 5. However, I decided to check THE SOURCE OF ALL LIGHTROOM KNOWLEDGE, also known as Victoria's FAQ book. In the section starting on p. 220, it's quite clear why it is a bad idea to simply update the entire catalog to the current PV.

However, I have lots and lots of photos in my catalog that were imported prior to LR 8, so they are PV 4 or even PV 3. I haven't done any editing on them, so it would be nice if I could update the PV for just those photos. I even tried to set up a smart collection based on PV, but I couldn't find a process version option as the criterion for a smart collection line.

Phil

Not sure. I just tried it again.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpeg
    Untitled.jpeg
    40.6 KB · Views: 190
Maybe the don't show again checkbox was selected at one time.

Phil,
You could probably make a Smart Collection with Develop->Has Edits is false, and use that to choose what to convert to the current PV.

However, I have lots and lots of photos in my catalog that were imported prior to LR 8, so they are PV 4 or even PV 3. I haven't done any editing on them, so it would be nice if I could update the PV for just those photos.
The process version invokes different adjustment sliders. All of the settings in an old process version are replaced with new sliders (that need their own adjustment when you change Process version. You simply can not change the process version without re editing the image to the new PV adjustments. If you are happy with a completed image edit, simply leave it in the old process version until you have a requirement to re edit.

Not sure your motivation to convert them all?

if you are happy with the edits you did in the past using the PV that was current at that time then no need to update PV and possibly change the look of the image away from what you were happy with. On the other hand, if you go back to an older image and decide that it needs more work, then you can choose to update that one image to the latest PV in order to get the latest tech or continue editing in the older PV. If you choose to update the PV, you will see immediately if it kept the same look you had before or not and if not then you can choose to revert back to the old PV, or just re-tweek settings using the new PV to get the look you want. In other words, only update images to a new PV on an as needed basis.

I would be reluctant to mass change all prior PV images all at once as some could be changed in undesirable ways without you noticing.

Just an opinion.

Dan

if you are happy with the edits you did in the past using the PV that was current at that time then no need to update PV and possibly change the look of the image away from what you were happy with. On the other hand, if you go back to an older image and decide that it needs more work, then you can choose to update that one image to the latest PV in order to get the latest tech or continue editing in the older PV. If you choose to update the PV, you will see immediately if it kept the same look you had before or not and if not then you can choose to revert back to the old PV, or just re-tweek settings using the new PV to get the look you want. In other words, only update images to a new PV on an as needed basis.

I would be reluctant to mass change all prior PV images all at once as some could be changed in undesirable ways without you noticing.

Just an opinion.

Dan
Dan,

Please note this part of my posting, message #8 in this thread:

I haven't done any editing on them [group of older photos], so it would be nice if I could update the PV for just those photos.

Agree about you and Cletus about not changing the PV for photos that have been edited. But what if I am now just getting around to editing some older photos, would it not make sense to edit them with PV 5? And would it not be preferable to change the PV on all those photos in one step, not one at a time?

After reading the FAQ book section on PVs, I no longer want to change all the images in my entire catalog to PV 5.

Phil

Yes. But when you decide to edit a bunch, just select those and convert them. For example they all may be in the same folder for a trip or a month or in a collection. Just select them all and click the lightening bolt and then choose "all selected" or "all on film strip" (i forget the exact phrase they use)

Just an opinion.

Dan

Just noticed this. My Default Develop settings adjust Texture, Clarity and Dehaze at import. I set Process version back to 4 and only the Texture slider went to 0. The other two maintained the import settings.

Good point to bring up. If it isn't on Process 5 then you will see this lighting bolt. Version 8 swithced to Process 5 so any files in previous versions will display the bolt.
Zenon,

If this situation isn't a programming (or design) error, it should be.

In LIBRARY, the histogram does NOT show a lightning bolt:

1568781102347.png

For the same photo, in DEVELOP, the histogram does show a lightning bolt:

1568781146831.png

This situation leaves me gobsmacked.

Phil

Yes. But when you decide to edit a bunch, just select those and convert them. For example they all may be in the same folder for a trip or a month or in a collection. Just select them all and click the lightening bolt and then choose "all selected" or "all on film strip" (i forget the exact phrase they use)
Califdan,

I just followed your description, and sure enough, I got this dialog window:

1568781297670.png

Per my earlier post, you don't get a bolt in the LIBRARY historgram, so you can't bring up the grid view and select just a few images. Having to apply the PV change to the entire filmstrip means some extra work in LIBRARY.

So, should I file a bug report with Adobe?

Not a bug IMHO. Maybe an inconvenience but not a bug. The PV only has meaning when one makes adjustments to an image which is the domain of the Develop Module. So, the only place where one really needs to see the lightening bolt is when one is looking at develop module changes. Not dissimilar to only showing the profile in the develop module and not the Library Module.

So yeah, might be nice to have the lightening bolt in both places but given all the other really impactful requests piling up (and being ignored by Adobe) this one isa pretty much at the bottom of the list in my view.

Forgot to add..... there are actually several other differences in the histogram panel between the Develop version and the Library version. In the Library version the only info you see under the chart are the exposure settings. However in the Develop version when your cursor is on an image pixel it shows you the RGB values of that pixel, when you cursor over Basic Panel sliders in the tone section subtle background highlighting appears in the histogram showing what portion of the histogram that slider affects, and when you position the cursor in the histogram it tells you in words which slider to use to affect that portion of the histogram (as well as highlighting the slider in the Basic Panel), the develop version has clipping warning triangles, etc. So, all in all the two histograms have many differences and the lightening bolt is just one of those differences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back