• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Process for returning to LrC from Lr?

Status
Not open for further replies.

switters

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
As you can see from my previous posts, I've been up and down and back and forth on this for the past year. But I think I've finally landed on a clear plan, and now I just need a little help to get there.

For the past few years, I've edited on both a MacBook (Air or Pro) and an iMac Pro, as well as an iPad Pro. I initially used LrC on my iMac Pro and Lr on my MacBook and iPad Pro. At some point, I switched to using Lr as my primary application on all devices—in part because I was confused about the best way to use both LrC and Lr across different devices.

Fast forward to today. I am now using a single computer (an M1 Max MacBook Pro), which is connected to an external monitor and other peripherals. The power/speed of the portable M1 Macs is just as good as the desktops now, so I didn't see a reason to continue using both.

Now that I will only be using a single computer, I'd like to go back to using LrC as my primary editing application, and then just use Lr on my iPad Pro and iPhone. But I'm not sure how to get everything consolidated. I have about two year's worth of photos that are in Lr but not in LrC (because I wasn't syncing them). Then I have many years of photos that are in LrC, but not in Lr—with the exception of a single collection that I synced between LrC and Lr.

What's the best way to get everything into LrC?

Thanks.

All of this is fully covered in your copy of the Classic Missing FAQ book....see the Cloud Sync section, starting around page 531 (way be a bit different depending on how up-to-date your (and mine) copy is.

In brief, enable sync in the Classic catalog that contains your many years of unsynced photos. None of your photos in the Classic catalog will upload to the cloud until/unless you specifically arrange that. However, a copy of ALL the existing images in the cloud will automatically download into that Classic catalog, which is what you want. So, when the download has finished you will have a copy of all your "master" images in the Classic catalog, after which you can decide what you want to be synced with the cloud. Before enabling syncing in the Classic catalog, however, decide where you want those existing cloud images to be stored on download. The default is an obscure folder on the system drive, but you can change that location to one of your own preference by visiting the Classic Preferences>Lightroom Sync tab....you can also select to have them stored in a dated sub-folder system if you wish.

Thanks, Jim. I think I bought the Classic Missing FAQ about 1.5 years ago, so I imagine it's fairly up to date? I'll check it out. I do remember reading about this when I originally went through the book, but wasn't sure if this specific situation was covered.

Yes, Victoria updates the book after every release, so make sure you download the latest version.

As you can see from my previous posts, I've been up and down and back and forth on this for the past year. But I think I've finally landed on a clear plan, and now I just need a little help to get there.

For the past few years, I've edited on both a MacBook (Air or Pro) and an iMac Pro, as well as an iPad Pro. I initially used LrC on my iMac Pro and Lr on my MacBook and iPad Pro. At some point, I switched to using Lr as my primary application on all devices—in part because I was confused about the best way to use both LrC and Lr across different devices.

Fast forward to today. I am now using a single computer (an M1 Max MacBook Pro), which is connected to an external monitor and other peripherals. The power/speed of the portable M1 Macs is just as good as the desktops now, so I didn't see a reason to continue using both.

Now that I will only be using a single computer, I'd like to go back to using LrC as my primary editing application, and then just use Lr on my iPad Pro and iPhone. But I'm not sure how to get everything consolidated. I have about two year's worth of photos that are in Lr but not in LrC (because I wasn't syncing them). Then I have many years of photos that are in LrC, but not in Lr—with the exception of a single collection that I synced between LrC and Lr.

Thanks.
Gotta laugh. Not at you, but at the whole Adobe experience. I think we are all going through, or have gone through, various permutations of your experience.

Thanks.

If you are still planning on using the iPad, why are you settling on LrC?
You will end up in two ecosystems if you continue with using both systems; and not all changes or information is shared between them.
When actually editing images, the core engine behind Lr and LrC is same. As such, the local performance when I was testing both apps over a year ago I could not see a difference.
Lastly, you will have to maintain knowledge of two separate ways of working. I personally decided a long time ago, i would rather spend time on other tasks then learning how to maintain skills in two products; that do not always even agree on terms.

Tim

I agree with tspear. In my case I am sticking with Classic.

I have decided not to use the Mobile version until I can properly use external storage on an iPad/iPhone. My use case would be remote and unable to synch, so do not want to be constantly worried my iPad would fill up. Would like to use Mobile version for remote travel only. I know the current mobile solution works for some who travel and retain the Classic version at home.

Also, while I read all new release info, I know I am not keeping pace with all the new features of Classic, especially in relation to the full potential of masking. Having two parallel universes does make choices difficult.

I agree with tspear. In my case I am sticking with Classic.
As am I.

Also, while I read all new release info, I know I am not keeping pace with all the new features of Classic, especially in relation to the full potential of masking.

Amen, brother.

Having two parallel universes does make choices difficult.
Adobe making an unforced error.

I don't care how Adobe accomplishes this goal, as long as they do it.. Extend Classic to utilize cloud storage and possibly other cloud-based functions, completely integrated to Classic workflows.

Extend Classic to utilize cloud storage and possibly other cloud-based functions...
A perfectly sensible thing to do. However, a rap version of Beethoven's 9th in order to be more accessible, I'm not so sure about :sneaky:

A perfectly sensible thing to do. However, a rap version of Beethoven's 9th in order to be more accessible, I'm not so sure about :sneaky:
Ode To Joy, rapped. Don't know about that. Setting words to the music of another movement?

Thanks, everyone. The two main reasons I want to continue to use LrC, at least in a limited fashion, are:
  1. Local file storage and backup. I just feel uneasy about trusting Adobe with the sole backup copies of my image files.
  2. The print module. Yes, I can export from Lr to Photoshop and print from there, but I much prefer the ease and convenience of printing from LrC.
A few more features of LrC are "nice to haves" for me, such as editing with the history panel, virtual copies, and the ability to search by lens/camera type. But these aren't deal-breakers. I've learned to live without them over the past two years.

#1 & #2 above mean I can't use Lr as the sole application. That leaves me with two choices: use LrC only, or use LrC + Lr. The two main reasons I don't want to use LrC only are 1) I do often edit on iOS devices like the iPad Pro and iPhone when I don't have my MacBook Pro with me, and 2) I like to have full-res versions of my images in the cloud so I can export them, edit in Photoshop, etc.

If Adobe would just add full cloud sync to LrC, or if they added local file storage and the ability to print to Lr, my dilemma would be solved. But as far as I know, neither of those changes are planned?

So, I'm torn. After reading through the replies in this thread and re-reading my previous threads and the replies to those, I'm actually leaning again toward using Lr and LrC together, but with Lr as my primary DAM and then use LrC for printing and as a way to store and backup files locally. My workflow would be:
  1. Import photos to Lr
  2. Review, organize, and edit in Lr
  3. Print from LrC (when desired)
With Lr as the "front end", I'll have access to full-res versions of my images across all devices. With LrC as the "back end", my images from Lr will automatically download to local storage, where they can be backed up. I can also easily print from LrC.

This might be the best compromise for me. I don't have to stay current with the features of both apps—I'm primarily using Lr for editing, organizing, etc. I am only using LrC to store/backup files and print. I do lose access to some of the LrC features like editing with history, virtual copies, etc., but I've found suitable workarounds in most cases (like using Versions in Lr instead of virtual copies/history).

What do you think? Am I missing anything, or does this sound like a good solution in light of my needs/preferences?

So, I'm torn. After reading through the replies in this thread and re-reading my previous threads and the replies to those, I'm actually leaning again toward using Lr and LrC together, but with Lr as my primary DAM and then use LrC for printing and as a way to store and backup files locally. My workflow would be:
  1. Import photos to Lr

FWIW, that's what I do too. LR is my primary, and if I have to throw away my Classic catalog and re-download the cloud contents because of a nightmare sync problem, I'm quite prepared to do so. I only open Classic once a week or when I need to check something to answer a forum question. It gives me a local backup of the photos plus essential metadata (although it doesn't do keywords or versions or a few other bits like that) and I have access to Classic tools if I really really need them. It's not a scenario I'd recommend to someone who has only ever used LR, but for those familiar with Classic, it works.

FWIW, that's what I do too. LR is my primary, and if I have to throw away my Classic catalog and re-download the cloud contents because of a nightmare sync problem, I'm quite prepared to do so. I only open Classic once a week or when I need to check something to answer a forum question. It gives me a local backup of the photos plus essential metadata (although it doesn't do keywords or versions or a few other bits like that) and I have access to Classic tools if I really really need them. It's not a scenario I'd recommend to someone who has only ever used LR, but for those familiar with Classic, it works.
Yea! If it's good enough for the Lightroom Queen, it's good enough for me! :cool:

In all seriousness, this does seem like the best solution for me, based on my needs. Thanks for your help!

It's 5-6 years into Cloudy, and I still haven't recommended that anyone makes it their primary tool. It's fine as a mobile extension of real Lightroom - the solution you described in your original post.

It's 5-6 years into Cloudy, and I still haven't recommended that anyone makes it their primary tool. It's fine as a mobile extension of real Lightroom - the solution you described in your original post.

Sorry John, I laughed when i read this. Your "standard" is significantly higher than mine, and likely many others. I do NOT use Photoshop at all. I barely use the tone curves.... The list goes on. I use Lr more as an organization tool, with minor edits. e.g. things you can do on most images in less then five to ten minutes.

The simplicity and multi-device focus is perfect for me. There are only a few key missing features for me. All of which I have accepted as gaps to get the ability to work images while on the road, or waiting somewhere....

Tim

Well, in saying that I am also considering those with a more casual outlook, Tim. Each time someone asks me or if I'm just thinking idly somewhere, fundamentally my answer is that Cloudy is certainly better than nothing - and that's quite an upgrade on my opinion before Adobe introduced the deletion bin.

John

I find it so much more difficult to do edits with a touch pad than with a mouse so I avoid Cloudy for anything serious other than display when I'm away.

My criticism isn't really about that, Bob, and the key is how one defines "serious". I'm happy to make rough adjustments on my iPhone, tweak ratings or flags, share photos, and just have them available wherever I may be. So I'm a big fan of LrMobile. Cloudy for me is just LrMobile on my laptop, my secondary computer. If I went to a single computer, like the OP, I'd have no need of Cloudy.

leaning again toward using Lr and LrC together, but with Lr as my primary DAM and then use LrC for printing and as a way to store and backup files locally. My workflow would be:
  1. Import photos to Lr
With Lr as the "front end", I'll have access to full-res versions of my images across all devices. With LrC as the "back end", my images from Lr will automatically download to local storage, where they can be backed up. I can also easily print from LrC.
I continue to use LrC as my primary and let sync the images in the Adobe Cloud to my master catalog on my iMac. I import photos into Lr on my iPad. I can work these in the field or at home without involving the iMac and LrC. I can even create Albums to share. Back in LrC I can publish, Print ,Keyword and organise in ways that Lr does not permit.
Lr Albums can be imported into the Portfolio website that I maintain to showcase my work.

I never forget that LrC is my primary and that it is best to permanently delete images from the master catalog on the iMac.

While I recognize that there are benefits to a combined LR + LrC workflow, I have been reluctant to spend the time needed to work all that out for myself. And I keep in the that Adobe once said (can't find that reference) that LR and LrC were not designed to be used together. Of course the optimist in my still installs LR on my desktop and laptop in addition to LrC.

My photo "outings" tend to be full-day affairs, so that I coould not start to edit photos on an iPad until after dinner. But if I'm at home, I would just as soon edit on my desktop in LrC. If I'm travelling, I first need to use my iPad to catch up on email and news, etc. That doesn't leave much time for iPad editing. In some cases, I will have my laptop with me. Although it is pretty old (2016) I would still rather use that machine instead of my iPad if there is any time to edit.

So I have decided to continue build out my LrC skills, particularly in the DEVELOP module. I will freely admit so some amount of "intertia" here.

In another thread, I said something like, "If Adobe did an easy two-way integration between LR and LrC, then I would take use LR."

In another thread, I said something like, "If Adobe did an easy two-way integration between LR and LrC, then I would take use LR."
... then I would definitely use LR. ...

Darn spell-checker.

@PhilBurton

This is a fairly common refrain Adobe, can you make sync work fully....
So far Adobe has said no, and does not appear to be changing their mind. I think Adobe is leaving some revenue on the table from customers like you; however if Adobe actually enhanced the sync and really attempted to integrate the software packages they will have larger issues. LrC has been built up over multiple decades, and I can recall a couple occasions (e.g. the revamped import dialog) where Adobe made attempts to simplify LrC. It did not go over well with the customer base.

For the two software packages to be "integrated", you will very quickly run into issues with data complexity that do not scale well.

As a result, I believe Lr was from born from the attempt to simplify the original Lr which died an early death due to the user revolt. When you look at how everything works, even as simple as how the brush interface works, Lr is significantly easier than LrC. It is also significantly less intimidating for new users. I periodically used to go a few months due to life in general between working sessions when I had Classic. The majority of the time, I had to go reread my notes on how to complete many tasks; especially the develop module. Even after a decade, not only was I checking my notes, I would still always be checking my sheat sheet for the keyboard shortcuts.

So far with Lr, I have yet to go back to notes on how to do something, and I rarely need to check my cheat sheet for keyboard shortcuts. this could be because I often use the application more as I have it on my phone, laptops and desktop. I rarely edit images anywhere except my desktop. However, I put in keywords, title... whatever on whatever device I have handy. The result, I rarfely go as long between touching the software. In addition, I have found it is a lot easier and much more intuitive.

I believe this is mostly because Adobe could start fresh after twenty years...

Tim

@PhilBurton

This is a fairly common refrain Adobe, can you make sync work fully....
So far Adobe has said no, and does not appear to be changing their mind. I think Adobe is leaving some revenue on the table from customers like you; however if Adobe actually enhanced the sync and really attempted to integrate the software packages they will have larger issues. LrC has been built up over multiple decades, and I can recall a couple occasions (e.g. the revamped import dialog) where Adobe made attempts to simplify LrC. It did not go over well with the customer base.

For the two software packages to be "integrated", you will very quickly run into issues with data complexity that do not scale well.

As a result, I believe Lr was from born from the attempt to simplify the original Lr which died an early death due to the user revolt. When you look at how everything works, even as simple as how the brush interface works, Lr is significantly easier than LrC. It is also significantly less intimidating for new users. I periodically used to go a few months due to life in general between working sessions when I had Classic. The majority of the time, I had to go reread my notes on how to complete many tasks; especially the develop module. Even after a decade, not only was I checking my notes, I would still always be checking my sheat sheet for the keyboard shortcuts.

So far with Lr, I have yet to go back to notes on how to do something, and I rarely need to check my cheat sheet for keyboard shortcuts. this could be because I often use the application more as I have it on my phone, laptops and desktop. I rarely edit images anywhere except my desktop. However, I put in keywords, title... whatever on whatever device I have handy. The result, I rarfely go as long between touching the software. In addition, I have found it is a lot easier and much more intuitive.

I believe this is mostly because Adobe could start fresh after twenty years...

Tim
Tim,

Good points. I have detailed list of workflow steps and some notes on how to accomplish some steps, mostly in DEVELOP.

Your points about the LR interface are an argument for Adobe cleaning up the LrC interface, I think. Do you think the LR interface is simpler and easier because there are fewer options or because the interface is designed better?

Wearing my (retired) product manager hat, I wonder if Adobe plans to merge the code bases at some point, leaving behind the "legacy" interfaces in LrC. Having two code bases seems, at least to me, like a great way to spread things too thin.

I bet the "hard" code, e.g. the actual image engine is already a shared code base. That is the only practical way Lr could have advanced and caught up to LrC so quickly on the develop side. Also, most new features are quickly added across both products around the same time, based on the release notes @Victoria Bampton posts.

There is a feature gap between the products, but that gap has been getting progressively smaller every year. So, I think the vast majority of it is how the UX is organized. As for why Adobe does not clean up LrC. Not sure if you used it back then, but wow when Adobe redid the import dialog box, the user base went nuts. (I was one of them, to be fair it was a really bad design change). Adobe got the message loud and clear, and fundamentally stopped trying to redesign LrC and went with a new product. I still think they screwed up the messaging and launch. Not sure how they could have done a worse job; but I digress.

Tim

I bet the "hard" code, e.g. the actual image engine is already a shared code base.
It is, they all use the Camera Raw engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back