• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Problems with missing photos...

Status
Not open for further replies.

marinephoto

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom 3.6
Operating System
  1. Other (please note in thread)
Within Lightroom 3 I keep each years photos in a folder, 2011, 2012, 2013, etc. Awhile back I moved all but the last two years to an internal backup drive (Drive 2) via an OWC Voyager enclosure to make room on my internal drive. Recently while transporting this drive I dropped it. While it still functions with no apparent problems I decided to copy all the photos year by year to a new drive (Drive 6) using Data Backup. I thought I understood how to relink this new drive to my Lightroom Catalog by the following method:

1) With Lightroom open I selected Drive 2
2) I then selected the year 2011
3) I then right clicked 2011 and selected Find Missing Folder
4) In the Finder window I selected Drive 6 year 2011 and clicked OK

After doing this the year 2011 images still have a ? on them

If I then right click on the 2011 folder on Drive 6 I have the option of Update Folder Location.

Should I click on Update File Location? And have I followed the correct proceedure or is there a better way?

Thanks!

P.S. I am currently using an old iMac running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 but
I recently purchased a new iMac running High Sierra. Just haven't
found the time to switch over.

Whoops! I was just checking out the steps that I took (outlined in my first post above) and I discovered that my previous description of the steps I took is incorrect.

What actually occurred is that I dropped Drive 2 and fearing that it may have been damaged I used Data Backup to copy the photos to Drive 6. But I didn't copy the files from Drive 2 as previously noted. Fearing that the files on Drive 2 may have been damaged in the drop incident I copied the files from my second backup drive, Drive 1. I completely forgot that backup Drive 1 was not linked to my Lightroom Catalog. This may be why my attempt to relink the photos on Drive 6 failed?

I probably don't need to mention that I find this whole Catalog /drive link business very confusing...

Given this new scenario what do I need to get things fixed?

Thanks!

Update Folder Location and Find Missing Folder do exactly the same thing - the name just changes depending on whether the folder can be found or not.

So have a look in Finder and check that the folders and photos inside the 2011 folder are all still there, still readable, and have exactly the same names.

If you click on the question mark on one of the images, it'll tell you exactly where Lightroom thinks it should be, and then in Finder, go check why that photo is not actually in that location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back