• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Problems with HEIC photos and Lr 10.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pathfinder

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version Number
Lr Classic 10.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
I'm have a very frustrating experience with my iPhone 12 PRO MAX HEIC photos after importing them into Lr 10.1 on my MBP running Catalina. Some, but not all, of the photos appear in the Library module. For the ones that do appear, all the metadata is accurately displayed in the right column. The photos can be enlarged to 100%.

However, in the Develop module when a photo is clicked on a message appears within each photo: "The file could not be found." Where do I go from here?

How did you go about importing them? And when you look at the thumbnails, is there an exclamation point on the thumbnail or not? If so, click on it and see where it thinks the file should be found.

Thank you very much for your response! In answering your questions: I imported directly from the iPhone into the folder I designated on the right side of the import screen. There were 2 photos in the small batch which had exclamation marks on the thumbnail but the thumbnail itself was totally blank! When I clicked on the exclamation marks I got this message: "Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo. You will not be able to make any adjustments to the photo." I hope this may be of some help and I look forward to any further suggestions you may have.

Is it only those 2 photos that are having problems, or all of them? If you go to the folder in Finder, can you view all of the photos ok, including the two problem ones?

The two photos that were blank in the Library module are OK in the finder! When I bought the iPhone 12 last week, there were several hundred photos that were transferred over from my iPhone 6. The vast majority of these have not been imported into Lr. (I shoot most photos with a Nikon DSLR.) With my new phone I took several test shots to check out each of the different lenses. When I connected the new phone to my MBP, all of photos showed up as candidates for import, but the new iPhone 12 shots were scattered here and there in the array. I unchecked all and then found the new shots, checked them specifically and then did the import. I'm assuming that the file numbers that appear in Lr are being assigned by the iPhone. (But I have never seen any file numbers in the Photos app on the phones. Is there a way to do this?) Now here's a mind-bending problem: The photos that were imported into Lr had file numbers from 2489 to 2520. Several of these had been edited in the new phone and therefore had a duplicate sidecar number. One of the photos, however, which appears in the Library module but not in the finder has a File number of 9990!!

What I have described here is probably very confusing, but if there is any light at the end of the tunnel, I hope you can show me the way out.

Sounds like the file names are different dependent on the lens in use.

Lightroom doesn't allocate filenames, you can change them on Import but that isn't the case here.

Thank you, Paul, for your input. I'm wondering if you or Victoria have heard of or used the free app Photo Investigator. I have not yet tried it but evidently it would give me access to the the metadata info on the iPhone photos before they have been imported to Lightroom Classic

Hi

Sorry, neither of us have tried that (both operate using the LrM camera!)

The problems I have had with Lr 10.1 and my MacBook Pro remain and I am putting them to rest.

But the very good news is that all the issues I have previously described have been resolved on my 27" iMac (2017). Even new PROraw captures are working perfectly! My thanks to both of you for your suggestions and your patience with my troublesome questions.

Hello All,

This is a recurring, intermittent, disappearing and/ or reappearing problem. I have been struggling with it ever since Apple/ iOS started encoding photo files with HEIC. Sometimes the problem goes away inexplicably, even without (being aware of) a Lightroom update.
The source of these files, in my case, is an iPhone 8, which is always up-to-date with the latest iOS version/ patch.
I'm currently running LR Classic 10.2.
Earliest HEIC photo in my Catalog is from August 2019. This and many HEIC photos since that day, currently work fine. Until August 2020. One photo that works fine in MacOS/ Finder' preview, MacOS Preview app and Photoshop 2021 app, for which LR shows the black circle with exclamation point. Then I have a bunch between October 2020 and January 2021 that are now working, but I remember having struggled with, when first imported. Now I have problems with the most recent series with photos taken between January 2021 and March 2021. Again, neither MacOS nor Photoshop has any problems with the files.

The only logical explanation I can come up with is that Apple keeps changing the format and Adobe has trouble keeping up. However, if that were so, this would have been a widespread problem. My impression is that it is not.

It's great to hear that Pathfinder's iMac can work with PROraw files but that does not give me any insight into solutions to the topic in this thread.

Anyone any ideas? Anyone having problems with HEIC photos in LR Classic? Generally working OK?
Thanks.

Hi Johnrellis. It did the trick! Thank you for responding.
I get an instant headache trying to think about what kind of software crime must have been committed to get a bug like this. Not to mention how this could have persisted since 2019! Anyway, happy to move forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back