• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Problems with Color Management and Pixma pro 9000 MkII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith_L

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Operating System: Win 10
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info):6.14

Hi

I am having problems installing a Canon Pixma pro 9000 MkII in Lightroom 6.14 (Win 10)

Everything works fine if I set the proof copy profile to "Canon pro900 MkII" in the develop module and "Adobe RGB" in Color Management in the print module (with "Manual" and "Driver Matching" in the driver dialog box)

If I try to set Color Management in the print module to "Canon pro900 MkII" I get a very pronounced Cyan cast (this happens however I set "Manual" in the driver box (including "None")

This has nothing to do with monitor calibration as it can also be seen in the print preview box on the same monitor as the develop module proof.

All ideas gratefully received!

Keith

You should not set "Adobe RGB" in Color Management in the print module! You should set your specific paper profile here.

You should not set "Adobe RGB" in Color Management in the print module! You should set your specific paper profile here.

That is the point I am trying to make. If I set my paper profile in the print module it gives a pronounced cyan cast (print or preview) whatever manual setting I use in the driver dialog.

The only way I can avoid this is to use Adobe RGB in the print module

Surely this should not happen!

What do you mean with 'print or preview'? Do you see the color cast in soft proof already? If so, then your profile is faulty.
I mean that the cast appears in the final print AND in the pint preview box. I do not see a color cast in soft proof

That does sound like 'double profiling' despite what you said about it, so perhaps you can post some screenshots of your printer dialog settings.
I agree that it sounds like "double profiling" and I am aware of that problem but if you look at the attached I think you will see that I have done everything in the driver to eliminate that

Attachments

• printer setup.pdf
    477.3 KB · Views: 644
I agree that it sounds like "double profiling" and I am aware of that problem but if you look at the attached I think you will see that I have done everything in the driver to eliminate that

Here they are

Attachments

• color adjustment.pdf
    943.3 KB · Views: 595
Everything looks fine on the printer side, so that leaves the Lightroom side. What is the paper profile you are using? Do you have a specific paper profile, or only a general printer profile? You talked about "Canon pro900 MkII", but that is not a paper profile.

Everything looks fine on the printer side, so that leaves the Lightroom side. What is the paper profile you are using? Do you have a specific paper profile, or only a general printer profile? You talked about "Canon pro900 MkII", but that is not a paper profile.

Canon Pro 9000 MarkII <PR> Photo Paper Pro II

Well, that sounds OK too. I'm out of ideas. A magenta cast is a clear indication of double profiling, and what you describe about setting Lightroom to Adobe RGB and using printer color management only confirms that. So it seems that somehow the printer driver is doing a second color correction, despite the settings to the contrary...

Well, that sounds OK too. I'm out of ideas. A magenta cast is a clear indication of double profiling, and what you describe about setting Lightroom to Adobe RGB and using printer color management only confirms that. So it seems that somehow the printer driver is doing a second color correction, despite the settings to the contrary...

Yes I learned about the magenta/double-profiling thing some time ago so it was the first thing I thought of when it happened with this printer. It does look as though the driver is not behaving itself but I cannot work out why this should be so. Obviously I can leave colour management to the printer but this removes much of the point of using LR

Yes I learned about the magenta/double-profiling thing some time ago so it was the first thing I thought of when it happened with this printer. It does look as though the driver is not behaving itself but I cannot work out why this should be so. Obviously I can leave colour management to the printer but this removes much of the point of using LR
Why is that? If the printer driver performs adequate color management, then setting Lightroom to 'Managed by Printer' should work just fine. You can then still use Lightroom to print.

It looks as though I may have to do that but soft proofing will not work properly so more test prints will be needed.

Thanks for the link to the plug-in. Unfortunately it is only for the Pro 1 and the pro 10, not the pro 9000

BTW, it seems that Canon has produced a special plugin to print from Lightroom, so maybe that confirms that the standard method doesn't work we with this printer... Print Studio Pro - PIXMA Professional Photo Printers - Canon Europe

Sorry that link does only refer to the pro 1 and pro 10 but further searching (by inputting the printer details and following the links) has revealed a version which works with the pro 9000 MkII
PIXMA Pro9000 Mark II - Support - Download drivers, software and manuals - Canon UK 10 (64-bit)
I have installed it and am evaluating it

Will keep you posted

Sorry that link does only refer to the pro 1 and pro 10 but further searching (by inputting the printer details and following the links) has revealed a version which works with the pro 9000 MkII
PIXMA Pro9000 Mark II - Support - Download drivers, software and manuals - Canon UK 10 (64-bit)
I have installed it and am evaluating it

Will keep you posted

Print Studio Pro would seem to have solved the problem. Magenta cast gone and preview in Print Studio Pro gives the same rendering as Soft Proof in LR

Don't know why the normal Canon driver can't do this!

Thanks Johan

Are you sure you have the printer properties (printer set up page) set to "Color/Intensity Manual Adjustment". I had the same problem with my MkII until I got that set.

Jim

Are you sure you have the printer properties (printer set up page) set to "Color/Intensity Manual Adjustment". I had the same problem with my MkII until I got that set.

Jim

I have set Manual Adjustment, as you can see from the screen grabs I posted earlier. Are you saying you have got yours to work OK using the Canon driver and the LR print module?

Thanks

Keith

I have set Manual Adjustment, as you can see from the screen grabs I posted earlier. Are you saying you have got yours to work OK using the Canon driver and the LR print module?

Thanks

Keith
Yes, once I set the Canon printer setup to manual adjustment, then LR worked correctly.

Yes, once I set the Canon printer setup to manual adjustment, then LR worked correctly.
At last I have found the solution to the problem. Also to another one I had (I was getting partial prints before the printer ejected the paper)

On another forum I was following the partial print problem and discovered that ticking the "Print Preview" box could be the culprit.

Un-ticking it has solved both problems but it is important to re-boot after doing so and before attempting to print again

It does appear that ticking the "Print Preview" box causes the driver to ignore manual settings to give "double profiling" AND confuse the print spooler!

Don't know if this affects all or just my combination of Win 10 (build 16299.192), LR 6.14, Canon driver (latest from Canon support), pro 9000 Mk II

Hope this is of help to others

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back