• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Problems importing from CF card to LR5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mary Ann

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I have a new MacPro and upgraded to Lightroom 5 and CC Photoshop. I am having a lot of problems importing from CF cards. I have tried different card readers and different ports. I have some movies on the CF cards (SandDisk 32GB Extreme). In the past, with LR 4 and my old Mac, I had no problem importing movies or images.

Now, when I put a card in and pull up the Import dialogue, it takes forever for the previews to load and sometimes it just loads some of them and the rest are blank. I can import a few sometimes, or all sometimes, but LR usually ends up crashing. My only real option is to copy to my computer and then import to a catalog.

This is very cumbersome and not a practical solution as I take multiple sittings on a card and only want to import certain images to LR catalogs (I use a different catalog for each client).

Any thoughts on what could be causing this would be much appreciated. The transition to a new Mac Pro and Lightroom 5 has been difficult.

Thank you!
Mary Ann

UPDATE on issue:

Thanks to Victoria Bampton, I have now figured a little more out. She suggested I create a new user and see how that works. I did that and LR5 works perfectly and imports movies and plays them. So obviously the issue is in my User account. I am not sure to figure out where the issue is or where to go from here. I really don't want to give up that user account and start a new account. Seems like a nightmare to set everything up again.

Would love anyone's thoughts on how to figure out what is causing the problem in my main user account?

Thought I would bump this thread to see if anyone has any thoughts??? I am using LR4 until I have a solution. LR5 is unusable to me as it crashes soon after I open it every single time.

I have been trying to get in touch with Adobe Support for 2 weeks. They continue to promise a rep will call within 24 hours. After numerous promises, they finally called this past Friday at 3:30 (sent an email) so who knows if I will ever talk to anyone that can help there.

The last Adobe rep that I talked to walked me though resetting permissions on a number of folders on my computer to be Read & Write, but it didn't change anything in regards to fixing LR5.

I have found several posts on the internet over the past few months with people that have the same issue. I just can't find anyone that solved it.

Last edited:
UPDATE: After spending a couple of hours on the phone this afternoon with two very helpful Apple support guys, I think I have figured it out.

Ultimately, the rep had me move the Adobe Folder from Application Support and the Adobe Folder from the Preferences file. Both of these were moved to the desktop. I found these files by going to the Go menu in the Finder and holding down the command button to reveal the Library. Make sure all Adobe applications are closed when you do this.

I then restarted the computer and opened LR5 and so far, LR5 is working great.

This was really an issue that Adobe should have helped with, but Apple reps were very nice to try troubleshooting with me.

Thank you so much for your thread and final post. I am currently trying out Lightroom to see if I want to start using it, and immediately ran into this problem. Finally moving the folders you mentioned fixed my problem.

Is LR5 still working for you, no more freezes since you fixed it in May?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back