• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Problem with Radial/Gradient Filter/Brush tools

Crazy Legs

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Any help/advice gratefully received.

I'm having problems with the the above tools. For example if I use the radial tool - I draw a circle and immediately the area within it darkens as if I've reduced the exposure but all of the sliders are set to zero. If I make any changes I do not see them on the image until I close the tool although I do see the changes (delayed) on the small navigator image in the top left corner. So if I use the radial filter and add + 3.00 exposure there is no effect on the image until I close the filter and then I get an over exposed area.

It is the same with the brush and graduated filter - they both apply negative exposure as soon as I use them even though the sliders are all set to zero and no changes show on the image until they are closed down.

Adobe have been unable to help without screen sharing and it seems that my iMac has a problem in downloading the screen sharing software required to do this. Apple have been unable to resolve this so far as it may be an issue with my user profile? Complete nightmare and I have a backlog of editing which is going to be painful if I can't see what changes I'm applying!

Any ideas?

Solution
It sounds as though you are actually seeing the Mask overlay (which can be one of different shades of Black, White, Red, Green). Press O to toggle the Mask off and on, press Shift+O to toggle through the different shades of overlay.
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
It sounds as though you are actually seeing the Mask overlay (which can be one of different shades of Black, White, Red, Green). Press O to toggle the Mask off and on, press Shift+O to toggle through the different shades of overlay.

Solution

Crazy Legs

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Jim, that worked perfectly first time!! So simple yet not one of the four advisors I spoke with at Adobe suggested it! Five hours with Adobe and Apple most of which was trying to find a way to download the screen sharing software and you solved it in no time at all. Thanks very much!