• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Problem with publishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddwarf4ever

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have installed Jeffrey Friedl, plugin Folder Publisher plugin. and setting up the publisher options. I have set the tree root folder, added a description, left mostly as is, using this to export my face tagged images, while keeping the folder hierarchy . Bit the save button is greyed out, when I click on the plug-in on the left it says can’t save as the tree root folder has not been set up ( or similar ) but I’ve used an installed HDD made an empty folder, and pointed it to that.
I believe the save button, is actually within the settings window, not as shown, not that probably matters.

any thoughts please

P.S. This is not a screen shot of my setup, it’s from a tutorial
85E24442-9C41-4217-A74D-F092D20D2D3E.jpeg

Sorry it was just to get my question across as wasn’t near my pc
I have actually got this working now just can’t get it to export to the original folder structure thanks

UPDATE I have managed to get the plug-in working, all folders named exactly as originals, all,peoples names in the windows TAG folder, took many hours of asking questions researching, the last thing I found out is that thin uses the folder order as in the Lightroom folder panel, so need to expand this fully, then it all works…..haven’t tried with TIFF yet, that’s tomorrows job.
thanks for all the help, if what I had learnt today had been on the plugin publishers website FAQ it wouldn’t have taken me most of the day to work out, but alls well that ends well

On remaining question if I may. I realise Lightroom retains the people names as a list, is it purely the names that are retained, if I was to face tag a folder of images, the delete the library and then import another folder with some of the same people as previously, would Lightroom instantly recognise the faces, or would it have to start again ? Wasn’t sure if it retained recognition patterns…..I know my terminology is wrong, but I hope I’ve made myself clear. Thanks

On remaining question if I may. I realise Lightroom retains the people names as a list, is it purely the names that are retained, if I was to face tag a folder of images, the delete the library and then import another folder with some of the same people as previously, would Lightroom instantly recognise the faces, or would it have to start again ? Wasn’t sure if it retained recognition patterns…..I know my terminology is wrong, but I hope I’ve made myself clear. Thanks

And where do you think Lightroom retains this name information? Inn LrC these are retained in the Catalog file. In Lr, they are retained in the Library in the cloud. Once either of these two files are gone, then so are the names. If you if you do name recognition then a rectangular area on an image is associated with a name. If you have several images with the same name associated with a rectangular area, then the rectangular area gets compared with “found” people for other matches AND Suggests possible matches. You have to approve the suggestions. If you delete an Image from the catalog, then the rectangular area and associations get deleted too. In order for Lightroom to make a suggestion it has to have at least one image with a person identified in a rectangular area of that image.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cletus, I think the question was slightly different. At least I read it differently. Let's say you've identified 100 images as being Fred. Now you have a new image with an "unidentified" face in it. As I read the OP's quesiton, does it go back and look at those previous 100 images to see if the new one is Fred, or does it keep some sort of "face mask" in the catalog that it looks at to determine if the new one is Fred. I suspect it is the later. Then each time a new "Fred" face is confirmed it tweaks that face mask to refine what fred looks like. Now, "Face Mask" is probably not the right term, but what I mean is something that defines what Fred looks like. For example Eyes 1.3 times further apart then length of nose. in other words whatever "metrics" facial recognition SW uses to determine matches. I suspect that when you mark a Keyword as a "person" type keyword, it links that keyword to this facial metrics info table for Fred. All speculation on my part.

And where do you think Lightroom retains this name information? Inn LrC these are retained in the Catalog file. In Lr, they are retained in the Library in the cloud. Once either of these two files are gone, then so are the names. If you if you do name recognition then a rectangular area on an image is associated with a name. If you have several images with the same name associated with a rectangular area, then the rectangular area gets compared with “found” people for other matches AND Suggests possible matches. You have to approve the suggestions. If you delete an Image from the catalog, then the rectangular area and associations get deleted too. In order for Lightroom to make a suggestion it has to have at least one image with a person identified in a rectangular area of that image.

Thanks

Cletus, I think the question was slightly different. At least I read it differently. Let's say you've identified 100 images as being Fred. Now you have a new image with an "unidentified" face in it. As I read the OP's quesiton, does it go back and look at those previous 100 images to see if the new one is Fred, or does it keep some sort of "face mask" in the catalog that it looks at to determine if the new one is Fred. I suspect it is the later. Then each time a new "Fred" face is confirmed it tweaks that face mask to refine what fred looks like. Now, "Face Mask" is probably not the right term, but what I mean is something that defines what Fred looks like. For example Eyes 1.3 times further apart then length of nose. in other words whatever "metrics" facial recognition SW uses to determine matches. I suspect that when you mark a Keyword as a "person" type keyword, it links that keyword to this facial metrics info table for Fred. All speculation on my part.
I think we both are referring to the same face recognition process. What you call a Face Mask, I called a "rectangular Area". Lightroom identifies faces initially as 3 dots. Any three dots in roughly a face shape gets presented as a possible face. I'm sure mathematically, this rectangle with three dots can be reduced to a numerical value associated with a Person Name. An Identified person has a keyword in the keyword "table" associated with an entry in the "person" table which contains the numerical value and Rectangle positions and images that have been identified as that person. If you for any reason delete the image from the catalog, then the rows in the person table for that image get deleted.

But the quesiton is, does the mathematical representaiton of the "3 dots" developed over many images with that person remain if the images for that KW are removed from the catalog and that KW now has zero images assoiciated with it? Or, does it have to re-learn what that person looks like from scratch if all the images are removed?

But the quesiton is, does the mathematical representaiton of the "3 dots" developed over many images with that person remain if the images for that KW are removed from the catalog and that KW now has zero images assoiciated with it? Or, does it have to re-learn what that person looks like from scratch if all the images are removed?

I believe there are three tables involved in the data base. One is the keyword table and each (person) keyword has an index value. That keyword is associated with one or more images and each image has a unique index value. The third table is the face recognition. It has one or more face recognition areas each associated with an image index value. And if confirmed, the person keyword index value. If you delete the image file then its index value row is removed for all associated tables where the index value is present. This includes the face recognition table.

Now I haven’t looked in to the SQLlite Database file in a long time but this would be the way I would code the process. An interesting note: I remember looking at the Catalog file using a SQLlite manager some version before the facial recognition was introduced in Lightroom. The table was present. At that point I knew that Adobe was developing facial recognition for Lightroom

Thanks. Interesting, and makes sense from a relation DB schema perspective.

So if I don’t delete the images from the catalog, will that make face recognition easier when I import more photos with the same faces thanks

So if I don’t delete the images from the catalog, will that make face recognition easier when I import more photos with the same faces thanks
Yes, Lightroom face recognition builds upon previously confirmed IDs If you remove the previously confirmed IDs, then LrC is essentially starting from scratch.

Hello, so the recognition is saved with the name tags, is this then saved in the library or is that separate, thanks

so I could safely import different folders of photos into collections and the recognition would be applied to other collections so long as I haven’t deleted the people name tags IDs ?

Hello, so the recognition is saved with the name tags, is this then saved in the library or is that separate, thanks

so I could safely import different folders of photos into collections and the recognition would be applied to other collections so long as I haven’t deleted the people name tags IDs ?

Not quite right. Name Tags are keywords in the Keyword table of the Lightroom catalog database. Faces are recognized in the faces table when the face is recognized, it is associated with a person keyword and that Kw index value is stored in the faces table. The faces table also contains one or more associations with an image index value So you need all three. As I pointed out in an earlier post.

Hello
i am getting there, so I keep the list of names, in the keyword table. And the library, both are backed up, regularly, not sure about the faces table, where it is and if I should back this up separately. I am simply creating new collections exam time I import photos, withiut deleting anything from the catalog………companies must have such fun making up new terminology.

thanks again

Hello
i am getting there, so I keep the list of names, in the keyword table. And the library, both are backed up, regularly, not sure about the faces table, where it is and if I should back this up separately. I am simply creating new collections exam time I import photos, withiut deleting anything from the catalog………companies must have such fun making up new terminology.

thanks again
Theses tables are all maintained inside the Lightroom Catalog.. The catalog file is a database managed by Lightroom Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back