• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Problem with LR Mobile sync

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteGB

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic, the release before Oct 18 update
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I’ve been using LR mobile sync almost since it came out, with no real issues. It went wrong yesterday for reasons I can’t fathom.

Normal process is pics ingested into LR directly from card reader, create a sync’d Collection, copy pics to collection and use iPad to do first pass pick on pictures. If I go to iPad before all pictures uploaded I get blank rectangles showing where pictures will be, they are gradually filled as pictures upload.

Yesterday a collection of 250 pics showed on iPad as rectangles with a cloud and exclamation mark. After much longer than usual pictures started to appear so I left overnight. This morning about 200 pics are showing, about 50 still showing the cloud and exclamation mark.

If i select a cloud/exclamation mark rectangle I get a message saying ‘loading smart preview’ and the picture appears. If I go back to grid view the picture is again replaced by cloud/exclamation mark. If I made any adjustments to the picture then the cloud/exclamation mark is replaced by the picture. Any change is sync’d back to PC.

I’m not actually sure what is displayed on the grid, the above behaviour suggest its a thumbnail of sorts that is comehow corrupted and gets regenerated when I make a change.

I’m windows 10 on PC, I’ve not updated to the last weeks Oct release, I”m the one before that. LR on iPad is last weeks (v4.0.0). A second iPad is not the lastest LR mobile and it’s showing the same issue.

Can anyone confirm where the grid view image actually comes from and where the issue might be ?

Many thanks.

Pete

There was a brief issue yesterday that may be responsible. Can you check again and see if it restored?

There was a brief issue yesterday that may be responsible. Can you check again and see if it restored?
Thanks for reply.

With no action on my part the iPad was still sitting with about 50 pics showing cloud/exclamation mark.

Selecting those pics on the PC and switching them to black and white caused the iPad to correctly show the images in place of the cloud/exclamation mark, albeit in b&w . Setting them back to colour gets things to where I want them.

I've taken a quick 1/6 doz pics, ingested into LR as usual, created new collection copied those pics to it and sync'd it. All handled correctly, iPad showing images as I would expect.

I then copied some of the 'faulty' pictures from yesterday to the new collection, they sync'd as I would expect with iPad showing images.

Finally a picture I sync'd yesterday which hadn't previously been on iPad and was showing cloud/! I coped to tonight's collection. It still shows cloud/!, it's not yet been part of the pics I flicked to b&w and back again. Another existing 'new to mobile' picture copied to tonight's collection works as expected.

(Sorry, that's probably difficult to follow !)

From all the above and your note I'm inferring that an issue server side with Adobe yesterday caused some sort of corruption to files that were uploaded, this presented as faulty 'thumbnails' that couldn't be displayed. Making a change to the picture causes the thumbnails to be regenerated and all OK. New pictures uploaded tonight are fine so things look to be back to normal.

Just unlucky I guess that I was uploading at that time. It was my first sync since I updated to LR Mobile 4.0.0 during the week so my first assumption was that the fault was there somewhere.

Anyway, all seems to be OK now, thanks for your help.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back