• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Problem with LR after Helicon Focus Download

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anne007

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
11.0.1 camera raw 14.0
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
I downloaded Helicon Focus and I am now having issues with LR. Perhaps it's a coincidence but I doubt it. I believe Helicon converts all photos *it uses in it's app* to DNG. However even when not using the Helicon Focus app, there are two symptoms:

1. When I export from LR to Apple Photos, existing metadata is not transferred with the photos.
2. When I use Topaz Denoise, I received a message that stated a particular function can only happen when I start with a RAW file (other functions worked fine).

It appears to me that I am either no longer capturing RAW files, or I'm capturing the RAW and it's being converted to something else (DNG?) prior to the above.

Prior to downloading Helicon (and to date, I believe) my set-ups include:
- My camera (Nikon D500) is set up to collect large, RAW files.
- LR is set up send Topaz the RAW files with LR updates.
- LR is set up to export .jpg files, which I often forward to Apple Photos. In the past the metadata has transferred as well, exactly as I've specified in LR.
- I sincerely doubt it's an Apple Photos issue.

I have the Helicon Focus app installed but I haven't recently used it. I don't have knowledge about how it was set up to coordinate with LR, which seems to be the jest of my personal issue in resolving the problem.

I've presented this problem to Helicon as well.

I know my camera is set up correctly. If someone could let me know what I should check in LR to make sure that it's set up correctly that would be great. I've checked everything that I know of, but obviously something is interfering and I don't know what that is. (or if it's even in LR).

Thanks,
Anne

Helicon Focus cannot and does convert raw files to DNG. What it does (when you use it) is combine a number of raw file to a new ‘focus stack’ DNG, but the original raw files remain untouched.

"I don't have knowledge about how it was set up to coordinate with LR"

Helicon inserts an Export Plug-in into LR. Have you gone into the Plug-in Manager and disabled it to see if you problem stops? From LR top menu, File>Plugin Manager

Attachments

• Plug-in manager.png
    Plug-in manager.png
    253 KB · Views: 81
Yes, thank you. Same issues. I then deinstalled the Helicon app and I still have the same issues.

So I'm wondering if my best bet at this point is to un-install LR and then reinstall it?

So I'm wondering if my best bet at this point is to un-install LR and then reinstall it?
No, your problems are vague so the first step is to determine what is really going on. You say you have two problems:
1. When I export from LR to Apple Photos, existing metadata is not transferred with the photos.
2. When I use Topaz Denoise, I received a message that stated a particular function can only happen when I start with a RAW file (other functions worked fine).
First, posts screenshots of what you do exactly and what the error messages look like.

Thank you, Johan. Heading out of town for vacation (yay!) so I may have to wait to pick up this thread until I return. ''

Anne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back