• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Problem with laptop and desktop syncing with OneDrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahSamaan

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 11
I hope I can explain this clearly. I have my LR catalog and pictures on my home hard drive, and back up to One Drive. I recently traveled with my laptop and decided to try to use the same catalog. Somehow I think I ended up downloading everything to my laptop. Now I can't get my new collections to sync, so I can't view them on my ipad. In trying to re-direct LR on my laptop, I have corrupted the copy of the master catalog stored on the laptop. I have created a new catalog for the laptop to use as a temporary catalog that I can later add to my master catalog. But I still can't sync the new photos. Does this make any sense to anyone? Any suggestions much appreciated! Mainly I just want to be able to sync again. When I look for sync activity under preferences, it shows zero activity.

I hope I can explain this clearly. I have my LR catalog and pictures on my home hard drive, and back up to One Drive. I recently traveled with my laptop and decided to try to use the same catalog. Somehow I think I ended up downloading everything to my laptop. Now I can't get my new collections to sync, so I can't view them on my ipad. In trying to re-direct LR on my laptop, I have corrupted the copy of the master catalog stored on the laptop. I have created a new catalog for the laptop to use as a temporary catalog that I can later add to my master catalog. But I still can't sync the new photos. Does this make any sense to anyone? Any suggestions much appreciated! Mainly I just want to be able to sync again. When I look for sync activity under preferences, it shows zero activity.
Should I just uninstall LR on the laptop?

Depends what you mean by "Lr".!
You can only ever sync ONE Lightroom-CLASSIC catalog. If you start syncing another (eg. Laptop instead of Desktop) then the laptop is the ONE that syncs ( & downloads all Cloud files! as you experienced.)

If you want to use Lightroom-CLASSIC on the Laptop then - Read this article by Victoria-
MULTIPLE COMPUTERS- How to use (Lightroom Queen)

Thanks so much Rob! That makes sense. It sounds like the problem is that I don't need Classic on both computers. Since I really don't need my whole catalog with me when I travel, the portable drive option is not for me. I do want to be able to download and process new images while I'm traveling, and I want to be able to access my catalog as well, but maybe Lightroom (not Classic) would be best to use on the laptop. I only use the laptop for travel, and use the desktop probably 95% of the time.
Does this plan sound do-able?

I will also add that the idea behind OneDrive is that you are supposed to have a virtual copy of your files that is available anywhere. My computer guy seemed to think it would be seamless. However, this is the second misadventure I have had with combining LR Classic and OneDrive, so I have learned my lesson! They do not seem to play well together.

I have my catalog and my photos on OneDrive and I work with them both on my PC and my laptop. Never had any serious problems.
Two things I always keep in mind though: I always have only one copy of Lightroom Classic running, and I have full copies of everything on both my PC and my laptop (the "Always keep on this device" option).

Thanks very much, Jan. Do you mean you have complete copies of your full catalog stored on both devices?
I know that the catalog is not the same as the photographs, but I think that somehow I ended up downloading the photographs and not just the catalog.
One thing I realized is that my pictures and catalog are stored on an external D drive that I never remove from my desktop computer. I did get a message on my laptop that it could not access the D drive, and that would affect sync-ing. But it was still able to access the catalog, presumably through OneDrive (which also backs up my D drive).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back