Problem when importing raw images

Status
Not open for further replies.

LRussoPhoto

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I haven't shot raw in a while but the past 2 times imported raw files, this is what happens.First time it happened with my nikon d500 and this time with my d7200. wtf?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 9.18.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 9.18.20 PM.png
    265 KB · Views: 464
  • Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 9.20.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 9.20.20 PM.png
    67.1 KB · Views: 444
It's probably a problem with your card reader or cable or anything else you use to read from the memory card. Try using a different method to copy the photos to your hard disk before importing them in LR, see if that helps.

Ok I will try something else. But why does it only happen with raw files? Also after the import was complete, if I go through each image in the develope module after about 5 seconds the image fully loads and looks fine. I am also importing to a portable drive. Could it be an issue with that cable?

Lightroom builds previews of imported images, and so it needs to read the raw file to do that. It only reads the raw file after it has been copied to its destination, so I think that indeed a cable issue with your portable drive is more likely. Having said that, it is strange that the develop preview (which is a different one) builds correctly. That seems to rule out a hardware problem, because Lightroom needs to read the raw file for that too.

After you have gone through the image in the develop module, does that fix the issue with the thumbnails or do they still look the same? If they still look the same, the issue may be a corrupted preview cache.

Lightroom builds previews of imported images, and so it needs to read the raw file to do that. It only reads the raw file after it has been copied to its destination, so I think that indeed a cable issue with your portable drive is more likely. Having said that, it is strange that the develop preview (which is a different one) builds correctly. That seems to rule out a hardware problem, because Lightroom needs to read the raw file for that too.

After you have gone through the image in the develop module, does that fix the issue with the thumbnails or do they still look the same? If they still look the same, the issue may be a corrupted preview cache.

Ok when i first uploaded the images last night, looking at them in grid mode they looked like above. Then when into the develop module, and scrolled through one by one, when id first see the image it would also look like above, then after maybe like 5 seconds that crazy rainbow would go away and thats how it was for each image. I have injected and then reopened the catalog on the portable drive, when i look in grid mode some images have the rainbow preview and others do not, same in develop mode. its not all and i can't see a pattern. But once i arrow to the next image that has the rainbow after a few seconds it goes away.
It has to be something going on because this is only the second time its happened and it happened with 2 different cameras and 2 separate portable drives. I will add the i used the same same data cable for both drives.
Cable issue or something else. How would i fix a corrupt preview cache?

The preview cache is a file called '<catalog name> Previews.lrdata'. It's in the catalog folder. To fix it is easy: just trash it. The next time you start Lightroom, it will rebuild the cache. You first see no thumbnails at all, then you'll see them appear one by one.

I will give that a try. i going to try and buy a new data cable tonight.

I just found this thread and am having the same basic issue with my (new to me) Nikon D3s. I just got it off of eBay, it's in mint shape and has 5000 shutter actuations. So far I've done 4 shoots with it. Each time I pull the NEF files into LR, they initially look fine. Then, as they render, discolored banding appears which goes away once the preview sets. But occasionally one of them will be corrupted (or appear corrupted) to the point where half the image has pink and black banding that won't go away.

In camera everything looks fine. When I convert them into DNG they still exhibit the issue, but it changes from file to file, meaning an NEF that had the issue, won't as a DNG. But now a new DNG has the issue. Jpegs were worse.

So I imported the NEF into my old laptop that's running LRv4. No problems at all. Then (foolishly) I upgraded my laptop to LRCC. Now the issue is back. To add to the confusion, if I look at them in the Finder, the pink banded ones are pink banded. Open in PS. Same. Open in Preview. Same.

I was going to say it's the card reader, but then the issue would be present in the old version of LR. So the only through line seems to be LRCC. But if that were the case I figured it would've come up in my Google searches. Also, if it were Adobe's fault, they wouldn't look corrupt in the finder.

So, back to my D3s..........

Does anybody have any frikkin idea what's going on??????
Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 3.27.15 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 3.28.25 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 3.28.48 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 3.28.52 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 3.29.18 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 3.29.26 PM.jpg

I bought a new data transfer cable for my portable drive and after 2 imports it’s been ok. Maybe the data cable your using is bad?
Hopefully it’s that simple.

I suppose I should shoot something to my D800 CF card and try and import. see how that goes....

UPDATE: iMac went in for a new HD. Could this have been the issue?

Using my laptop I shot some stuff on my D800 CF card and imported with no issues. Then I took 3 different CF cards and ran them all through the D3s and imported them using the same card reader. Everything's fine.

iMac went in for a new HD. Could this have been the issue?
Absolutely. A failing hard drive is always a prime suspect when you start getting corrupted images.

If images from the CF card is fine and the SD card is not, then a hard ware issue is probably the problem.
Eliminate these as the cause one by one.
  • SD. Card is bad
  • Card reader is bad
  • USB cable is damaged
  • RAM is failing
  • Disk drive is failing

So testing using the same cards and card reader shows no results. We're going for the HD being the issue. I'll get my iMac back this afternoon and we'll see.

Got my iMac back with a new HD. Everything's good, though LRCC is still a little slow (working on optimizing it).

My last question is, though my HD was def dying and causing problems, my corrupted files are still bad even with a clean install. Since they were originally imported using the bad HD that ruined them, here's no remedy, right? They're permanently damaged?

I take it you don't have them backed up. :(

I imported them from my CF card to my media drive (two 2TB mirrored HDs). Since reinstalling the OS, LR, etc, some of the files are still jacked up. I just assumed whatever was wrong with my HD, corrupted the NEF as it copied them to my external HD. Since you need the native HD for that process.

Can you think of any other reason for corrupted files at the same time as a failed HD?

So does that mean that you have eliminated the other possibilities and are left with a failing HD as the sole reason.
Pretty much. But one thing doesn't sit well with me. The only camera files that exhibited this issue (and I use 4 camera bodies) were out of my D3s. But I used the SD cards out of my others and only CF with my D3s. But, as mentioned, I've since used the D3s with a trio of CF cards (including the offending one) and found no bad result.

Since I'm still working in the new HD on my iMac, I'm going to a family gathering today and will bring the D3s and the "bad" card and use heavily.

Stay tuned....

I'm going to a family gathering today and will bring the D3s and the "bad" card and use heavily.
I hope that you set the D3s up to record the same image on both cards in the camera as insurance against losing photos if the card does prove to be failing.

I hope that you set the D3s up to record the same image on both cards in the camera as insurance against losing photos if the card does prove to be failing.
Yes, all my cameras are set to shoot copies of each image I take to each onboard card. After a job, I pop one card and pocket it. That way if something happens to my gear (theft, fire, tornado, aliens, zombies, etc.), I'm covered. I'd much rather have to deal with equipment insurance to replace my gear than with equipment insurance AND having to reshoot a job.

So I just shot 400 frames using my D3s on the same cards and imported them to my new HD using the same card reader with nary a problem. Prognosis: bad HD.

Thanks to everybody who spent the time to weigh in on my issue, I sincerely appreciate it.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back