• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Problem LR <-> Canon printers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mhstein

Downloading IPC Profiles for Cannon pro9000

Hello everyone

I am a new user to LR and is having a hard time setting up my color mgmt. section when i want to print from LR.

I am currently using a PC (vista OS) WITH 4 GB OF RAM, a 25' gb hd, and i am using a Cannon pro9''' printer.

When i want to print from LR my pictures come out nothing like the way they look on my monitor. I was told that i have to download profiles for my printer and i a having a hard time finding out what web site i can go to to achieve this.

Can anybody please give me suggestions or guide me as to where i can find these profiles.

Thanx

I am currently using a PC (vista OS) WITH 4 GB OF RAM, a 25' gb hd, and i am using a Cannon pro9''' printer.

When i want to print from LR my pictures come out nothing like the way they look on my monitor. I was told that i have to download profiles for my printer and i a having a hard time finding out what web site i can go to to achieve this.

Can anybody please give me suggestions or guide me as to where i can find these profiles.

Thanx

I am having problems with my Canon I995' from the start with LR. I am NOT telling you the problem IS LR, but there seems to be A problem between Canon and LR. To me it looks like LR OR CANON is fumbling with the colors.
Until this is resolved (CANON or LR don't mind really, but it has to be FAST) I export my photo and print with PhotoElements, which does it great.
Maybe the driver or icp files, don't know. I do have some hooks on color-space-management between the devices and will look into that. Don't expect very much of that really.
One hint to keep you from using piles of paper and gallons of ink: the preview the printerdriver lets you see is accurate!

LR Prints too Dark

:?I am having a hard time printing using LR. When i am in the print mode and all my settings have been applied, why does my pictures come out too dark in comparison to the way it looks on the monitor.

I have set all my settings under the print mgmt according to the type of paper i am using and set up all of my settings from my printer, but when i print out a 4x6 it comes out 2 to 3 shades darker than the original ( it looks too warm ).

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

i am using a Cannon pro9''' printer

"LR Prints too Dark"

1) your monitor's too bright

2) your viewing light is too dim

Assuming(as you stated) you have all the color management down for the print process, that doesn't leave much else.

Is your monitor calibrated? To what luminance level? Most recommendations are for a luminance(contrast control) of 12'-14', I find that 'way too bright for effective printing using a LCD monitor and usually calibrate mine to 11'(which is still too bright but I've learned to make allowance for the difference).

And what light are you using to view your prints? Tungsten lighting will give you a warm look compared to a monitor, your monitor is probably set to 65''K and your typical light bulb is somewhere around 3'''K. This makes your prints look a lot warmer than on the monitor.

Monitors are set up for the default settings to look bright and punchy on the store shelves where they're sold(like TV's). Never mind that what they display looks nothing like anything you'd ever see in real life, that's what sells. As an exercise, turn up the lighting in the room you do your printing in, take a picture and then display it on your monitor at full screen. Does it look like the room you're sitting in? Draw your own conclusions....

:?I am having a hard time printing using LR. When i am in the print mode and all my settings have been applied, why does my pictures come out too dark in comparison to the way it looks on the monitor.

I have set all my settings under the print mgmt according to the type of paper i am using and set up all of my settings from my printer, but when i print out a 4x6 it comes out 2 to 3 shades darker than the original ( it looks too warm ).

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

i am using a Cannon pro9''' printer

As Bill has said there a lots or variables. To assist let us know what OS and monitor and calibration mechanism you are using.

We have the same printer. Make sure that you are not using both the printer and Lr profiles simultaneously.

In your Lr Print module Click Print Settings, in the subsequent dialogue box click Properties. In that dialogue box under Color/intensity, click Manual, and set. Choose None under colour correction and close.

At the bottom of your right panel, choose the paper again, preferred sharpening and under color management choose the paper profile NOT managed by printer.

PR1 is for Pro Paper and SG1 is semigloss &c.

That should work if you have calibrated your monitor. If you haven't calibrated your monitor you might like to do so. You probably have the monitor set too bright (and a lot of other problems).

I'm sorry if this seemed too stupid to you. I could have used this explicit direction at one time.

With the Canon and a profiled monitor and those settings I am getting pretty much what I'm looking at. Good luck!

Hi,

Maybe I am looking too hard for it, but it seems to me that there are problems between LR and Canon printers. I read about problems with my printer (i995') an Pro9'''.

On the other hand, there ARE people that are satisfied with their prints.

Since many many other printers seem to work ok, it is my guess the problem is:

A) In the icp profile supplied by Canon,
B) A "certain" setting in LR or in the printerdriver
C) "Something" in LR that has to do with it.
D) An unknown factor

I think it is usefull to collect the various problems to be able to determine the fact that binds them together.

As a start I will give my experiences (until now problem not solved):

It doesn't make any change if I let LR or Canon control the colormanagement: same result.

When I print outside LR (I use PhotoElements for that) prints are ok.

There is a difference in printing on A4 and A3 with same settings in LR.

I have tried all possible combinations, lost piles of paper and gallons of ink: only to find out that the preview from the printer does refelect the print very good.

See the other thread about this. You should already have all the profiles you need for the common papers and they were installed when you installed the printer. There may be additions to the initial ones on the Canon site. I don't know.

Hello everyone

I am a new user to LR and is having a hard time setting up my color mgmt. section when i want to print from LR.

Thanx

To assist in resolving your problem please take a moment to fill in your signature in the UserCP - top left of the page. Knowing your OS will make a difference. Thanks.

Merged Threads

I'v merged the treads about Canon Printers and LR. Sorry that they end up in chronological order but I can't see that it can be done any other way.
This was as a result of a request and hopefully will make it easier to isolate any issues with Canon printers.

Is there a certain setting that i should set my printer to which would make LR control
the printing quality?
When i go to change the coloe profile under color mgmt. what does the follwing mean to me as far as which one i should choose.
cannon pro9''' GL1
G3
MP1
PR1 ETC.
I have no idea which profile to choose from because it does not tell me what type of photo paper it is referring to.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

thanx

mitchell

Thanks Mitchell. sorry can't help you with the c--- stuff as I am an epson user and Mac.
Now if it was a Nikon query I may be useful!!:lol::lol: (I have visited the Sendai plant where the D3 is made - now that was interesting!)

:)I think i have solved my problem because i have printed a few different pictures with the different settings that were recommended for my printer and the proper codes to choose and my pictures look much more realistic now versus before.

thank you

mitchell

mhstein;896' said:
:)I think i have solved my problem because i have printed a few different pictures with the different settings that were recommended for my printer and the proper codes to choose and my pictures look much more realistic now versus before.

thank you

mitchell

When you have it sorted it would be helpful to others if you could post here what you did. Cheers.;)

mitchell, we have the same monitor, the same calibrator and the same printer.

I am having success with this combination.

PR1 refers to Photo Paper Pro, at the highest setting. PR2 &c apparently for something less - I don't understand this but I use PR1 invariably in any case
SG1 is Photo Paper Plus semi-gloss
I assume that MP is Matte Photo Paper

Use these in Lr's Print module under Color Management, Profile. Make sure you have chosen the correct paper in the Canon printer dialogue that you get when you click the Print Settings button in Lr's Print module.

As I mentioned above. You must turn off printer colour management in the Canon dialogue box.

Let us know how it works when you've set it up. Looking forward to hearing that your prints rock.

Katherine Mann;89'3 said:
We have the same printer. Make sure that you are not using both the printer and Lr profiles simultaneously.

In your Lr Print module Click Print Settings, in the subsequent dialogue box click Properties. In that dialogue box under Color/intensity, click Manual, and set. Choose None under colour correction and close.

At the bottom of your right panel, choose the paper again, preferred sharpening and under color management choose the paper profile NOT managed by printer.

I just got a Canon Pro9''' and was having similar problems as the original poster of images printing too dark. Making these adjustments fixed everything!! Thanks!

PhotoMoose;93'3 said:
I just got a Canon Pro9''' and was having similar problems as the original poster of images printing too dark. Making these adjustments fixed everything!! Thanks!

I digging an digging.

There is 1 new sight to me: I live in a rather dark house, with not much daylight in it.
I just took a picture (not "shoot" but carried it) next to the windows and in daylight they look good.
That could be an answer to my problem, but I keep wondering why the preview on my screen looks different (more magenta) from the original in LR on the same screen next to each other.

If that is not like it is with you I will have to keep digging and trying.

wblink. I know how frustrating this can be - it has been frustrating for me and thousands of others. If you would like to solve your problem I would try to help. Maybe some others will jump in. I know that the printer and Lr will work very well. I'm sure we can find a way for your prints to be satisfactory to you too.

Let's start at the beginning with profiling, and let's forget those other applications that seem to work fine.

Is your monitor profiled? and if it is - with what?

Let's start at the beginning with profiling, and let's forget those other applications that seem to work fine.
Is your monitor profiled? and if it is - with what?

Thanks for your help-offer. I need it!

What do you mean with profiling my monitor? Standard gForce driver, adjusted with standard tools. Nothing specific regarding color adjustments. I don't see the need for that: it is only for me to see, but that is NOT important (it IS, but not for printing). The result is much more important.
I sit in a dark corner of my house, looking at my screen: that has (in my opinion) nothing to do with real vision.
When I make a print I get a preview: that picture differs very much from the same picture on the same screen at the same time

I have set all the recomanded settings to my driver!

Willem, I should have said "calibrate". One calibrates a monitor in order to obtain a profile. The profile is used with the software to produce colours that will be the same for all your devices such as your printer.

I used a SpyderPro calibration tool and produced a profile which the monitor uses to correctly show me what Lr is using when I make corrections to my photos. The profile is used when Lr is making the print as well.

Without a properly calibrated monitor you cannot do anything accurately. It really is the first step.

Perhaps you and I are having language problems. If you'll be patient with me I'll be patient right back. :)

So - have you calibrated your monitor?

I used a SpyderPro calibration tool and produced a profile which the monitor uses to correctly show me what Lr is using when I make corrections to my photos. The profile is used when Lr is making the print as well.

Without a properly calibrated monitor you cannot do anything accurately. It really is the first step.

Perhaps you and I are having language problems. If you'll be patient with me I'll be patient right back. :)

So - have you calibrated your monitor?

Thank you!

No, I did NOT calibrate my monitor other then run the nVidia "calibration". If it IS crucial I will look and buy the soft- and hardware to do it. But I keep thinking of my "preview" presented by my printerdriver next to the view in LR. The colors were VERY different: same monitor, same "calibration": so I suspect the diver. I could be wrong ofcourse and will be I think).
Bottom line: do I NEED to calibrate my monitor for prints? If YES I will have to buy some soft/hardware.

This is terrific Willem! I think this is precisely your problem.

There are quite a few great calibration tools on the market.

Once your monitor is calibrated you will be walking on solid ground. Soon your prints will be really great!

This is terrific Willem! I think this is precisely your problem.

There are quite a few great calibration tools on the market.

Once your monitor is calibrated you will be walking on solid ground. Soon your prints will be really great!

OK I ill search for a good product to calibrate my monitor. Do you have any suggestion> I was thinking of Spyder: it has a nice price around here.

Aiai, listening to Don Amar at the same time (Reggeaton Latino)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back