• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Problem creating top level keywords

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich_S

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom v6.14 perpetual license
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have organized my keywords in nested hierarchies (not everyone's choice, but it's my preference). I am having two problems, both new within the last few days.
1. I can't create top level keywords. When I click the "+" at the top of the keyword list to create a new keyword, or right click and select "Create Keyword Tag" I get the expected dialog box, where I can enter the new keyword name. At the bottom, under Creation Options, I have the choice to put the new keyword inside an existing keyword. If I leave this unchecked, the new keyword should NOT get created inside (nested under) the existing keyword, but it does.
2. If I go to the Library Filter, and choose Keyword from the Metadata list, all my keywords are shown in one long list, with no hierarchies, or nested keywords, shown. This is new, and is NOT what I want.
I have a feeling there are commands, settings, or Keyboard shortcuts that have caused these problems, and/or would fix them. Any suggestions, help, or advice would be MUCH appreciated.
Thanks.

Solution
For the first problem, if the new keywords are always being added into the same place in a particular hierarchy, chances are that you've inadvertently checked the option to "Put New Keywords inside this Keyword" (it's an available option in the right-click menu of any existing keyword). Look in the Keyword list for a keyword which has a dot after the name, the dot indicates that it has been set as the location for all new keywords. Right-click on that Keyword and you can uncheck that option.

For the second problem, look to the right of the Keyword header in the library filter and you will see a very small faint icon. This hides a selection menu, click on that icon to reveal the menu and there you'll see the option exists to display the...
For the first problem, if the new keywords are always being added into the same place in a particular hierarchy, chances are that you've inadvertently checked the option to "Put New Keywords inside this Keyword" (it's an available option in the right-click menu of any existing keyword). Look in the Keyword list for a keyword which has a dot after the name, the dot indicates that it has been set as the location for all new keywords. Right-click on that Keyword and you can uncheck that option.

For the second problem, look to the right of the Keyword header in the library filter and you will see a very small faint icon. This hides a selection menu, click on that icon to reveal the menu and there you'll see the option exists to display the keyword list in either a "Flat" or "Hierarchical" mode. It sounds as though you currently have "Flat" selected.

Solution

For the second problem, look to the right of the Keyword header in the library filter and you will see a very small faint icon. This hides a selection menu, click on that icon to reveal the menu and there you'll see the option exists to display the keyword list in either a "Flat" or "Hierarchical" mode. It sounds as though you currently have "Flat" selected.
Thank you. You solved both problems for me. The first in particular was a real head scratcher. This feature of the keyword function is not mentioned in the manuals or tutorials that I have access to. A web search did not produce any results. Your help was invaluable.

I am using general keywords less, and using Face Recognition more. I had created a hierarchical structure a long time ago, and I have a few folders for people, family, friends from different context. I found in the little filter view, you can show Tags that are People tags, this is super helpful for organizing!!!

In retrospect, I sort of wish I had done Lastname, Firstname in People, but i am not sure I am going to change them all... too much work.

I am using general keywords less, and using Face Recognition more. I had created a hierarchical structure a long time ago, and I have a few folders for people, family, friends from different context. I found in the little filter view, you can show Tags that are People tags, this is super helpful for organizing!!!

In retrospect, I sort of wish I had done Lastname, Firstname in People, but i am not sure I am going to change them all... too much work.
Maybe one of the Lua gurus here can write a script for you. Or is this an SQLite problem?

Maybe one of the Lua gurus here can write a script for you. Or is this an SQLite problem?
It's not like i have THAT many people tags.... just a matter of pushing through them. I don't think tags can have commas, so I would go Lastname-Firstname i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back