Problem backing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

KNicholas2

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
I store my photos on an external hard drive and back up to another external drive. When I try to copy from the primary external drive and paste to the backup drive, I am NOT given an option to overwrite the file. I get a message that there is not enough disc space to copy a new file. I really don't like deleting the files on the backup disc to make room, but would rather overwrite. Is there a toggle or preference somewhere where I can be offered an option to overwrite?

Thank you.
Kim Nicholas

A couple of things:

1. It sounds as though your backup drive is running short of space. Have you checked the amount of free space that it has? Maybe time to consider a larger drive.

2. "Copy and Paste" as a backup method is a pretty inefficient way of doing things. Haven't you considered using a backup utility? Plenty of free or reasonably cheap utilities available, with the advantage that they are 'incremental', i.e. only new or changed data is backed up, which greatly cuts down the time taken for the backup as you're not constantly re-copying already backed-up files. I use Microsoft's own free utility (SyncToy 2.1), but there are plenty of other options.

Thanks. I have tried several backup utilities and have been disappointed. I loaded SynchToy and really like it. It is so easy to use the even I can figure it out!

Kim Nicholas

Glad to help!

Thanks. I have tried several backup utilities and have been disappointed. I loaded SynchToy and really like it. It is so easy to use the even I can figure it out!

Kim Nicholas

Just as a sidenote:

If you use SyncToy as a backup tool, make sure you choose "Contribute" as action, because with "Synchronize" or "Echo", your (maybe accidental) deletions will also be replicated on the target media.

Beat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back