Printing out of lightroom - darker than others

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bry

Hmmm, a lightroom printing thread. Everyone run. (if you want to have a good headache come on, read the Adobe Lightroom printing problems out of lightroom thread).

I have the same exact setup as a friend of mine. Same monitor, same Pixma Pro 9''' printer and lightroom. Both monitors are calibrated with an Eye 1 Display 2. We are only using Canon papers and canon ink. We tried printing using "managed by printer" and the profile for the Canon paper we are printing to.

We have printing directly from lightroom, Qimage and photoshop CS2 and out of Qimage and Photoshop, the results are pretty much the same. When printing out of lightroom, the results are darker slightly and less vibrant. We noticed that the better results come with the "managed by printer" option. My friend is so frustrated, the Pixma Pro 9''' may end up Ebay by the end of the week. I am making do because I need to, but I have to adjust the brightness a little to get it to turn out correct.

I have printed on mine, exported the files to a catalog and imported on my friends machine and the results are EXACTLY the same. We then try his stuff on both machines and the same occurres.

Any thoughts?

Welcome to the forum, there will be a solution to your problem. First please take a moment to fill in your signature with information such as your system etc that will help those helping you - thanks.

There should be nothing wrong with your printer. Several of us are getting terrific results.

Perhaps you might like to check that you are not managing by printer in Lr and something else in the printer driver.

1. in the Print module, clicking on the Print Settings button ...
2. Choose your media type
3. Under Print Quality choose High
4. Under Color Intensity choose Manual. In the subsequent dialogue box choose None.
5. In the Print right hand panel under Color Management choose your print media - PR1 for Photo Paper Pro, SG1 for semi-gloss &c
6. Rendering intent Perceptual.
7. Hit Print and OK.

You should have a print that looks like your calibrated monitor.

If you don't, I don't know what gives. It works perfectly here.

5. In the Print right hand panel under Color Management choose your print media - PR1 for Photo Paper Pro, SG1 for semi-gloss &c

Does anyone know the difference between the GL1 and GL3 profiles (as well as SG1 and SG3)? Is there a list somewhere of which exact paper these profile names correspond to?

I did a bunch of looking around in google for the answer to this question. Came upon someone who said that the 1 designation is for printing at the highest quality &c
The GL is one of the Canon papers, don't know which one.
PR1 is Photo Paper Pro ....

Here's something I just found in Canon's Profile PDF, somewhat dated ..

"The following dedicated
ICC profiles are available:
PR1
PR2
SP2
SP4
MP2
The letters indicate media type.
MP = Matte Photo Paper
PR = Photo Paper Pro
SP = Photo Paper Plus Glossy
The numbers indicate print quality.*:

Thanks Katherine!

I never would have guessed SP corresponded to Plus Glossy. I think GL corresponds to their standard "Photo Paper Glossy".

I have a headache. After searching for 2 hours, I took a chance and downloaded the driver for the Pro 9''' again and installed, same version before, but this time, TWO GL profiles show up in lightroom.

Lets see if I can actually print though....

I am having exactly the same problems with Lightroom prints being darker. Both Qimage and Photoshop prints match the monitor, which is calibrated with a Huey. I have had the same problem with ver 1.4 and 2 of LR.

I am having exactly the same problems with Lightroom prints being darker. Both Qimage and Photoshop prints match the monitor, which is calibrated with a Huey. I have had the same problem with ver 1.4 and 2 of LR.

Welcome aboard Ken. To help us help you could you please take a moment to fill in your signature in the "userCP' that is found in the nav-bar at the top left of the page - thanks.

Hi Ken, welcome to the forum!

Can you tell us what settings you're using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back