• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Printing on Ilford Smooth Pearl paper

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbert

Hello all!

I want to say first off, what a great source of info and tips I have discovered here this morning! I've done alot of searching for my current problem, can't seem to find it specifically addressed anywhere. My apologies if I have overlooked it somewhere.

That being said, here's my super frustrating dilema...driving me crazy, lol.
I am trying to print on Ilford Smooth Pearl paper with my Canon 9000Mkii and am having trouble getting print to match screen. The photo is in Raw format, I've downloaded the correct profile from Ilford, using recommended canon paper setting and quality, checked MANY times in printer dialogue that printer is not handling color management, Using double checked calibrated monitor....everything I can think of. I've tried using my calibrated monitor profile setting instead and it doesn't want to match on screen either...much closer, but it's still not as warm as on screen and not printing the warm tones of rock I want.

I'm fairly new to the whole print process, but eventually want to sell my own prints. Mastering the printing is really key here, lol.

Looking forward to any advice anyone may have!

Hope you don't mind me posting, but I'm also new to the printing part and I'd love to subscribe to gather some info too. I would be printing from a calibrated iMac and am still trying to decide a good quality printer that would not break my piggybank :)

The settings in your printer driver properties should be like the attached screen shot.

Attachments

• Image00018.jpg
    Image00018.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 280
Have you downloaded the correct profile from the Ilford site for the paper and the canon if not that will make a difference.

Rjalex :
I've had my canon pro9000mkii for about a month...Love it! I got a great deal on it- $199.99 ($300.00 rebate) with the purchase of a camera also. Otherwise, they had a $100.00 (or was it $200.00?- can't remember for sure) instant manufacturers rebate w/o the camera purchase. It was a tough choice between the 9000 and the 9500, but in the end I found the 9000 to better match my needs. Good Luck :)

Denis :
Yup, they looked identical to that

chris02 :
correct profile- check, checked and double checked...still to no avail

Thank you everyone for taking the time to try helping!

Last edited:
Thought I'd share the results of all my testing/ playing and hair pulling (lol) over the last few days on this problem. I've learned much- and feel a wee silly in some of what I overlooked. These are things most of you probably already know, please bear with my inexperience. I'm learning fast and will continue to do so. Breakthrough #1 : The prints look MUCH better as soon as I take them out of my darker printing room with warm lighting and out under a skylight ( cloudy day) in my kitchen. Without being able to hold them beside my monitor to be ABSOLUTE, I've determined that they do now in fact closely match what I see on screen. I may need to look at decent lighting choices for evaluating prints. Breakthrough # 2 : DON'T trust what the printer preview dialogue box shows you...WAYYYY off, which was preventing me from even trying a print...silly choice. I learned that as soon as I decided to print it anyway and see what happened. So after DAYS of this, I am now much more satisfied with the results I am getting...so glad because I had previously decided I really like Ilford's Smooth Pearl and was feeling rather remiss at the prospect of having to give up on it.

Thank you again for your help guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back