• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Printing jpegs

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidbeamanscott

deltabravosierra
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
LrC version 12
Operating System
  1. macOS 13 Ventura
Hi all,

Wonder if anyone can answer this.

If I print a jpeg from LrC, do I need to be careful of the output sharpening options, as being jpeg, it’s already had some sharpening? I know a raw properly processed will also have had some sharpening prior to print…

Plus, I read somewhere that even when printing raw, LrC will render that raw (temporarily) as a jpeg in the background and send that to the printer, is that correct? If so does a one know what settings (quality etc.) LrC is sending to the printer?

Regards,

dbs.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply - but I know how sharpening works and why it's required; none of the articles address either of the specific questions I've asked.

However, someone in the comments (last article) asked the question and the answer is what I expected 'even if JPEG you will need to sharpen somewhat as it's being delivered to a paper/ink output' . So I guess in the absence of any guidelines it's 'suck it and see'!

Question 2 about the LrC background printing process (in comparison to PS perhaps - do they differ?) would be interesting to find an answer to - I'm not expecting LrC to send raw image data to the printer - they won't know what to do with it - I'm expecting some to conversion to a format that they will - possibly JPEG.

Regards,

DBS.

Plus, I read somewhere that even when printing raw, LrC will render that raw (temporarily) as a jpeg in the background and send that to the printer, is that correct? If so does a one know what settings (quality etc.) LrC is sending to the printer?
No, that is not correct. Lightroom sends the data to the printer as RGB data, but because the data are sent to the printer directly, file formats and so things like jpeg compression do not play any part in this process.

Thanks for the clarification - just RGB data - LrC 'is hands off' after the print button is pressed.

Regards,

DBS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back