Printing Custom Paper size refuses to rotate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

silsurf

I have set up a custom photo size in my Epson print dialog for 13w x 9h

I select it in LR and make all adjustments, print job looks correct in LR

When I go to print it is printing in portrait mode even though I have selected landscape and appears in landscape in LR Print module.

I tried toggling "rotate to fit" made no difference

I tried setting it to Portrait it it then print a smaller version of the image lopping off about half the image area?

I have had this issue before I believe, but cannot remember what I did to fix. This is a new computer and new printing set up.

Thanks for any troubleshooting guidance

Henry

I tried creating a saved print, exporting it and then printing just using preview and the same thing happens. Just driving me nutty, ink is spewing all over the Epson because it is not printing the appropriate size. Everything looks good in preview?

Did you use the 'Page Setup' and 'Print Settings' button in the lower left corner?

I read somewhere that custom paper sizes do not rotate. I cannot find the reference, but it stuck in my head at the time. It may be worth creating a second custom size with the dimensions reversed and trying that.

I have been through the Page Setup and Print setting many times, But I will try creating a new custom setting and see if that has any help. I created a custom setting a week ago and that one worked? It is a new computer, so I am establishing new parameters.

Custom paper sizes can be rotated no problem, in LR use the page setup button and select size user defined. This can be portrait or landscape. Once setup make sure the printer properties are also set correctly from the print setup.

If I go to a standard (non custom) paper size everything prints just fine? I know I have had issues with my Epsons over the years concerning size management, so for now I will print 8x10 and when I have more time I will figure it out. One thing it brings up is that on my last setup (I just bought a new iMac, I had a 2009 iMac before), there are a bunch of paper sizes that do not appear in the drop down, namely 13x17 and 13x18, I think they are B sizes? Was wondering how do I get these paper sizes back into the print dialog? I reinstalled the print driver, but still no luck.

I assume you had to obtain a new Epson driver for the MAC, so I guess those sizes are not supported now. My Epson driver version 6.71 do not show those either. So it is back to creating those sizes as a user defined. I use metric sizes for paper, but I do not think they are B series either?

Thanks, funny that they would stop supporting sizes, but it is the newest driver. I guess the last part of the question is, what printer should I move into next? I am sure there are many threads about this. I have used Epson for many years, the "R" series, currently the R1900. It is perfect for my needs other than the fact that it gobblles ink and I feel the Epson maybe doesn't give the best support. Any thoughts?

I like a mid range printer, but one that can handle at least 13x17 and has professional output

Epson or Canon give fantastic results, I went with the P800 after many years with the 3800. Roll feed was high on my list, so that why I chose that particular model. The new printer is good at ink usage and has not blocked up, so happy. Although the fitted ink cartridges are not full first off!
As for support I cannot comment, as I live in Australia and have not had to use them over here?

The deal breaker could be if you use matt paper , as the Epson still has to change over inks from gloss to matt and some wastage occurs as the ink is purged to the waste tank.

Image rotation still unsolved. Mac Desktop/High Sierra/Lightroom 6/Printing on Platinum Gloss/excellent results, but unable to rotate to print across 17 inch roll. I have tried rotating image in Lightroom, but, so far, which ever option I select it still prints smaller and up the sheet. I have tried custom sizes to no avail. Have had to resort to Photoshop to print. Using Epson an 9880 which is steadfast and reliable. I like Lightroom and am now familiar with its vagaries. It looks as though I will have to make a PDF of all my 60 image files to avoid running backwards and forwards between my office and the printer in my studio. I will try to see if a clean install of the Epson software will solve this problem.

Michael, I am on WIndows and have no problem rotating pictures using the Epson 17" P800 with roll feed. I have just made a custom 4 picture template, with each picture rotated to portrait from a landscape format, across the paper width. I guess with your 44" printer the Epson driver is different to the one I use?

RE:
Printing Custom Paper size refuses to rotate!
I am using Lightroom 6 Stand alone, latest version. I have found the source of the problem I had with image rotation when printing. I have the Epson Stylus Pro 9880 (also have a 3880 but it does not print of a roll) on my network so that it can be used from either my desktop or laptop whatever the location (office or studio). Using ethernet the camera's EXIF data (Orientation) overrides Adobe Lightroom 6's settings. Fortunately if I print via USB this does not happen! Therefore I will from now on print from my Laptop. I know it is possible to change the EXIF data but life is too short to contemplate such a task... I can from now on override the Camera's Metadata presets which is fine. The problem I have ( or had) is due to the fact that in using my EOS Mk III to copy glass and large format film negatives, the camera 'assumes' that all the images are landscape format.

Almost certainly a problem that no-one else is unlikely to have to face!

…MG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back