Printer Settings Dialogue Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Amos

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
After connecting a new Epson P800 Printer to my iMac, I have been unable to get the more advanced dialogue box to come up after clicking the Printer Settings button at the bottom of the left panel. I only have a basic dialogue box, the same as what I had when I previously had a Canon multifunction printer attached to the iMac. Can anyone explain to me how to fix this? I have attached two screen shots. The first of these shows the box I am getting, the second the box I should be getting. The first is preventing me from selecting specific paper, setting resolution etc.

Thanks for your assistance.

Attachments

• Screen Shot PDA.jpg
    Screen Shot PDA.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 737
  • Sceen Shot PM.jpg
    Sceen Shot PM.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 595
Paul, Did you download the latest driver from Epson or install using the CD? I can only think that a remove and re-install will fix your problem.

Paul, Did you download the latest driver from Epson or install using the CD? I can only think that a remove and re-install will fix your problem.

Thanks for the suggestion to reinstall. I did it from a download, no disk with printer for Mac. Before commencing again I will remove all previous Canon files as well. 6 year old Canon printer was also made redundant after El Capitan installed, as it appears no further driver support looks likely.

You can remove the Canon drivers, but it is unlikely that these have anything to do with it. Make sure you also remove the Epson printer from the System Preferences, and add it again afterwards. Otherwise you may still get this dialog after the reinstall.

Hi Everyone

I have removed all Canon and Epson drivers. I reinstalled the Epson driver from the address provided by Epson with the printer...Epson.sn (Spain?). It still did not work as expected. I then contacted Epson, who interestingly, listened to my concerns respectfully, but then suggested I call the retailer, Kayell (Melbourne, Australia based). They suggested I remove the driver again and download it from the Epson Australia site, which I did. Still no change. They further suggested if there was no change, then to call them back, which I will do on Monday. A mate of mine got the same printer and has exactly the same issues. Another mate of mine, who has an Epson 3880, suggested it is a Lightroom issue, not a Epson or Canon or iMac issue. Is it possible that Lightroom is yet to recognise the P800, which is a brand new model?

Any further suggestions prior to Monday would be welcome!

Paul Amos

Nope, Lightroom doesn't have to recognize anything. The printer is part of the OS. How do you know that the driver is not how it's supposed to be? Does the manual show you a different dialog than you are getting, or do you simply assume that the dialog should be like that older Epson printer?

Thanks Johan. Attached is a screen shot from the P800 User manual. It features the same dialogue box as the samples above. It is only with this dialogue box that I will be able to make advanced settings, specially choose a paper type etc. It is identical to that used when hooked up to the Epson 3880.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-12-06 at 11.43.37 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-12-06 at 11.43.37 AM.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 918
Last edited by a moderator:
Johan, you're a champ! The problem is solved! Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. Next time you are in Melbourne, let me know and I will buy you a drink!

Paul Amos

Hi Johan. Just a couple more things to be aware of. With the very limited paperwork that came with the printer, it suggested the drivers be downloaded from "epson.sn". This is what I did originally, but then the local retailer suggested I download the drivers from Epson Australia. This was a totally different process and it did not work either. Following your advice and upon reading the article, I went back to "epson.sn". It was going to download the same drivers and the problem was there again, with "AirPrint" in the dialogue box. So I stated the process again, and noticed when the installation process undertook a search for printers, it listed in a dialogue box the "AirPrint" driver again, but when I clicked on the box, the non "AirPrint driver was listed. All in all, it was very easy to fall into this trap with no mention of it in the manual or during the installation process. Pretty poor on Epson's part really, for not alerting the installer that these options existed. Anyway, thanks again. BTW, you have a nice website.

Paul Amos

Hi - this is my first post here but have been looking in here over the past few months since the problems with LR6.2 update and it is a really excellent forum.

I just though I would answer on this topic as I had exactly the same problem when I got my Epson P600 back in April and had a few frustrating hours before I finally found a solution. I too found the Northlight Images link and it helped and is indeed an excellent resource. However, the best explanation and solution I found was at the following link: http://www.macworld.com/article/268...ng-the-right-printer-driver-for-your-mac.html

The problem is all to do with AirPrint (Apple's wireless printing) and it seems that OSX automatically installs its own AirPrint driver rather than the full vendor driver if the printer is AirPrint compatible. This is a cutdown version of the driver which works but has few options. The solution is to delete this driver and install the full vendor driver. The MacWorld link gives a detailed description of how to do this.

Epson should indeed be making this clear in the manual but obviously not. It appears it is not just Epson but other printers as well. In fact Apple should not be installing a cutdown version of the driver by default. I'm surprised it is not a more widely known problem.

Thanks for the further comments Mick. The article does indeed explain this issue in more detail. It's interesting to note that when I shifted to an all Apple environment five years ago, I very much enjoyed the fact that all the Windows hassles were gone. But in recent times, as Apple makes each update of its operating systems more complex and invasive, more issues are happening, including some sync issues between its devices. Let's hope this is not an ongoing trend. And let's also hope that they read forums like this and learn from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back