• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Print templates come out 'messed up'

Status
Not open for further replies.

frank_1

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
HI,
I downloaded some calendar templates from RED Photographic - LR Calendar Templates
The preview pane shows the correct layout for each template, but as soon as I click one, it comes out all messed up (see screenshot, which shows the preview top-left and the messed-up layout).
I already tried to solve this by choosing another paper size or orientation for my printer, by choosing another printer (like Adobe PDF, etc...), but to no avail...
When I rearrange the layout and save this as a new template, the problem is gone.
Any idea how to solve this?
Thanks in advance,
Frank

print_templates_messedup.jpg

You have chosen A4 as paper size, but the template is clearly not A4. It looks like having a 3:4 aspect ratio, while A4 is closer to 2:3
Thanks for your reply, Johan.
I understand your suggestion, and it does sound logic, but how to proceed then?
Like I wrote, even if I choose another paper size (or even the size called "defined by user", without an option to define the size) the layout gets messed up.
I think it's a bit weird that one is supposed to 'guess' the templates paper size (or aspect ratio) if it's not referred to in the template name...
I don't want to send it to a printer anyway, I want to print to a jpeg, so I don't care about paper size.
According to this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyQ09Q91hM4 this problem shouldn't occur, as he explains from 8'04'':
- he chooses a template
- the template defines his paper size and comes out right
- then he changes the paper size according to what he wants an he only has to adjust the layout a little bit...

Anyway, I think I'll try out the other templates on RED Photographic - LR Calendar Templates (there's some A3 and A2 sizes, and one Dutch) and see if the problem persists. It's just for an exercise at school, but still I'd like to understand what's going wrong.

But thanks again for your help. I appreciate.
Kind regards,
Frank

Print driver.... link between the o/s and the application. Lr Print module has various buttons which interact with the print driver settings. I use Windows most of the time but sometimes us a MacAir for travelling. I find that at times differences between how and when, for example, the settings for paper size might be selected. Sometimes layout presets require me to revist the paper size settings. Also... just a thought... the presets purchased may have been configured on a Mac and now used on a Win device or visa versa, and some obscure driver settings are creating an issue.

Print driver.... link between the o/s and the application. Lr Print module has various buttons which interact with the print driver settings. I use Windows most of the time but sometimes us a MacAir for travelling. I find that at times differences between how and when, for example, the settings for paper size might be selected. Sometimes layout presets require me to revist the paper size settings. Also... just a thought... the presets purchased may have been configured on a Mac and now used on a Win device or visa versa, and some obscure driver settings are creating an issue.
Thanks! That could explain the layout problems. But no solution...
I'll ask about it on the website where I downloaded the templates. Could have done that straight away :rolleyes:
But thanks again for looking into this.

I am seeing a problem (or something I do not understand) with the 'Info' overlay . Not sure if it is related to this thread topic.
ALL the default "Lightroom Templates" are 'Letter 8.5x11inches'
If I -
1) Select a Lightroom Template (for 8.5x11 paper)
2) select one of my own templates, eg. one created for 4x6inch Paper, and then
3) click back on a 'Lightroom Template' (that being 8.5x11inch)
The INFO overlay does not change back to the 'Letter' paper size.
I would have thought that the Paper size should change in the Info overlay to show the template selected.
My screenclip is for the Lightroom 'Contact Sheet' template with 'Letter' paper!
ScreenShot103.jpg

I think that Frank's problem may be related to changing Paper Sizes where the Cells may not resize.

I think that Frank's problem may be related to changing Paper Sizes where the Cells may not resize.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I think my 'problem' is different, though. The templates come out distorted right away, whichever paper size I choose, whichever printer I choose (including pdf printer).

I asked the calendar template creator about it. This is what he answered (still have to try what he suggests):
"I don’t think this is a Windows vs Mac issue. Many people are using this on windows machines.
The print driver should not be an issue, as long as the template you choose has a preset for that page size. When you go to “Page setup”, “Paper size” do you see a paper choice that matches the size of the paper show in the template name? If not you need to create one. I’ve attached a few screen shots
Example: if you choose a template for A3, your print driver must have A3 as a choice in the page settings, or if you choose a 17 x 22 you must have a page that size in your printer settings. The templates are sized for specific paper sizes so they calendars fit perfectly into the templates.

NOTE: there was an issue with the Monday English Calendars that I corrected this week. So if you downloaded them earlier, I’d re-download the calendar jpg’s."

I'll post an update as soon as I tried his new templates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back