• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Print module won't remember printer model

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustyLr

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
I'm working on the print module and I'm having two issues. One is I can't work out why there are three print settings buttons, which seem to duplicate function. The other is that no matter how many times I try the templates won't remember my colour printer. Often on reboot it will go back to the default B+W printer so I have to go through and choose the colour printer again. Any fixes to printer selection and how to not have to go into multiple print setup buttons to check.

Have you tried trashing the presets? I've had a couple of printer issues (I think one was also to do with not retaining settings) that I resolved that way. I know it's not clear why it should work, but it's always a good thing to try.

3 print settings buttons? Can you grab a screenshot?

3 print settings buttons? Can you grab a screenshot?
These are the buttons below (Lr 9.4),

Page Setup which seems to be the only place to select the paper size. It remembers the size and the colour printer, but its not the function that sends to job to the printer.

Print Settings (left) and (right) Printer... seem to be identical dialogues, so I can't work out why the duplication.

Print Settings (left) will sometimes forget the colour printer and revert to my Brother B+W printer, no matter how many times I resave a Template. Printer.. on the right just seems to be the same dialog as Print Settings on the left.

I don’t know if there is a subtle difference between the left and right dialogs related to their locations that I’m not a aware of but I have to check all before each print run.

LrPrint.png

Got it. That's page C20 in your book. The combination of buttons can vary depending on the printer

Page Setup - sets paper size, orientation etc.
Print Settings - displays the printer driver dialog an
Printer - shows the print dialog before actually printing
Print - skips the print dialog before printing

Theoretically Print Settings should let you save the settings in a template, but it's possible that macOS System Preferences > Printers & Scanners > Default Printer setting is overriding the actual choice of printer.

Theoretically Print Settings should let you save the settings in a template, but it's possible that macOS System Preferences > Printers & Scanners > Default Printer setting is overriding the actual choice of printer.
OK thanks - looks like the Printer dialog is redundant if Print Settings is already reviewed. I'll keep trying to figure out what sequence leads to the wrong printer being selected, as its intermittent which is a bit odd.

Yes that sounds right

On the issue of the settings not sticking - I've now managed to get it to work. I think the issue I hit was that if you try to update a Print Template, you have to be careful NOT to highlight the template when you right-click it. It just needs to be the currently selected template, do the change/s, then right-click the gray area of the target template (to the right of its text) and choose Update with Current Settings. If you hit it on the text, it highlights the template and reverts & applies all settings according to its last saved state.

Ah good tip, I'm sure that'll help someone else googling for the same in future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back