• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Print Module Text

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrickC

I thought I'd pretty much explored all the areas of Lightroom which could be useful to me, but today I found what I think is a distinct weakness, so I can feel a feature request going Adobe's way, unless someone can enlighten me first.

I'm trying to do a simple thing; just produce a 'contact sheet' with the filename and the caption below each image. All I wanted was to put them on separate lines, but a thorough search in here, in Lightroom web help and through Yahoo reveals - nothing.

I found Sean's excellent 'Formatting in The Text Template Editor for Web', but of course this HTML approach doesn't work in the print module. It seems such an obvious thing to want to put different kinds of information on separate lines, and it surely can't be very difficult to implement.

There might be a workaround by editing the template in a text editor but I haven't investigated that yet - has anyone else?

Patrick Cunningham

I can't see an elegant way to put them on two lines. The Photo Info Overlay in the Print module doesn't seem to accept any line feed/return tags of any kind.

If your file names are all the same length you can make a custom Photo Info in the Text Template Editor that includes the {Filename} + an indeterminate number of spaces + {Caption}. The spaces would vary by cell size and file length and font size but it can work. Not elegant-in fact, ugly. Tab and Return characters would be a nice addition.

Ok. I figured out another ugly way. Preface your captions with a "." and a <CTRL><Enter>. This will force you caption to be a . for the first line and the caption for the second line. Then you can build an overlay that is {Filename}{Caption} and it will look like this.
img_'183.
Caption
Still not beautiful but it does get them both on separate lines.

Just out of curiosity? What happens if you have an extrordinarily long caption? Doesn't your picture become tiny in the contact sheet cell?

[quote author=RikkFlohr link=topic=7756.msg52986#msg52986 date=1252351232]

Just out of curiosity? What happens if you have an extrordinarily long caption? Doesn't your picture become tiny in the contact sheet cell?
[/quote]

One step at a time! ;)

In the end, for what I need right now, I've done without the captions. But it is a feature Adobe should add.

Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back