• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Previews Folder within the catalog

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyHH

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 11
Hi
The folder in my catalogue named "Lightroom Catalog-2-v10-v11 Previews.lrdata" seems to be gradually taking over the available space on my hard drive.
It is currently at 59.7 Gb, is this normal or is there a way to reduce this size?

I've added a screen shot of the settings below.
LR catalog settings.jpg

Any help/advice much appreciated.
thanks
Tony

The Previews folder will grow over time. However it may contain many previews that are long since for images that may never be accessed again. Lightroom will always build previews from the original image and edit adjustments as needed. If you delete the previews folder,Lightroom classic will create a new one and build new previews as you import and as you access older images.

So, delete the folder and check catalog preferences to determine which previews are created and low long full size previews are retained. You may want to make some adjustments to the size and duration of previews in preferences

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Before deleting the current Previews folder, make sure you run the “Find all missing photos” command from the Library menu. In case you have missing photos, that is, files that LrC cannot find, these old previews may be useful to visually identify the photos and see if it is worth to try locating them.

The Previews folder will grow over time. However it may contain many previews that are long since for images that may never be accessed again. Lightroom will always build previews from the original image and edit adjustments as needed. If you delete the previews folder,Lightroom classic will create a new one and build new previews as you import and as you access older images.

So, delete the folder and check catalog preferences to determine which previews are created and low long full size previews are retained. You may want to make some adjustments to the size and duration of previews in preferences

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you for your help :)

Before deleting the current Previews folder, make sure you run the “Find all missing photos” command from the Library menu. In case you have missing photos, that is, files that LrC cannot find, these old previews may be useful to visually identify the photos and see if it is worth to try locating them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back