• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Preview Not Updating after External Edit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Jenner

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
One perpetual problem I have had with LrC is that if I have a RAW file in Lightroom and then I open and save it externally in Photoshop the new PSD file will show up as it should in my LrC catalogue.

If I then choose to edit the image in Photoshop again, when I go back to LrC the thumbnail it doesn't update and still shows an image of the previous Photoshop edit. Even when I Synchronise the folder containing the image or choose to build a 1:1 Preview it still doesn't update the thumbnail. Is there a way of forcing LrC to update the thumbnail preview?

One perpetual problem I have had with LrC is that if I have a RAW file in Lightroom and then I open and save it externally in Photoshop the new PSD file will show up as it should in my LrC catalogue.

If I then choose to edit the image in Photoshop again, when I go back to LrC the thumbnail it doesn't update and still shows an image of the previous Photoshop edit. Even when I Synchronise the folder containing the image or choose to build a 1:1 Preview it still doesn't update the thumbnail. Is there a way of forcing LrC to update the thumbnail preview?
Make a small edit in Lightroom. You can delete the edit again after the thumbnail was updated.

Aha! Thanks Johan, I did know that was a way of doing it but it felt like a bit of a hack.

UPDATE... I have just stumbled upon an easier solution...

Simply reset the image by pressing Command Shift R (on the Mac) and it recreates the thumbnail as per the original file.

I have a similar issue with images from Helicon Focus in Win 10. Would the equivalent Win command be Ctrl-Shift-R? I have been creating new 1:1 previews but this might be a better approach.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I tried Ctrl-Shift-R on my system and it shows that it did reset the Develop history but has no effect on the thumbnail displayed in Library module. So my focus stack images that have been edited in Helicon Focus somehow pick up the thumbnail of one of the stack images used to edit and not an updated thumbnail of the edited image. I guess I will keep creating new 1:1 previews.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ctrl-Shift-R (Cmd-Shift-R on the Mac) resets all settings, but an image that was just returned from Photoshop does not have any settings...
That is why building a 1:1 preview may also not work (if you already had one it may not). Making a small Lightroom edit should always work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back