• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Preview issues (Smart or 1:1) with Fuji RAF files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightroom Version Number
Classic CC 8.2 release. Camera raw 11.2
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
Hello. First post here. . I've recently started using a Fuji XT3 (I've been using LR since 2007 with Nikon RAW files). I have the card slots on the XT3 set to RAF. I import the card into LR Classic (latest 8.2 CC build). When I import the RAF files (I have import set to Build Smart Previews) it imports all the files but then tells me it can't build smart previews for some images... and when I try to edit those images I get "There was an error working with the photo". And then I literally cannot do anything with the file in LR... as though it is corrupt. I can still open the file in Camera Raw etc.

To date I have tried rebuilding the 'Smart Previews.lrdata' file, I've tried reimporting the RAF files, I've tried different memory cards... nothing helps. Jpegs from the XT3 are fine. They build Smart Previews.

This doesn't happen on on Nikon D800 files (to date).

Any help would be appreciated

Hi Greg, welcome to the forum! Sorry for the delay replying. That is a weird problem. It does sound like it's having trouble reading them from the get go. Are you importing from a card reader or camera cable? And when you say you you can edit them in Camera Raw, this is exactly the same ones LR copied to the hard drive, and not a copy that's still on the memory card (or copied separately)?

Next time you import, can you just uncheck the smart previews to rule that out as a trigger? You can build them after it imports them all by going to Library menu > Previews > Build Smart Previews.

hello Victoria. Thank you for your reply.
It certainly is weird. Yesterday it read and built Smart Previews for all but 2 RAF files out of 20 images. Workflow - I import the images from the card reader (one built in the back of the iMac... as I have always done on my Nikons , my Fuji X100F and now my XT3).

I have tried importing and not building SP's.. then selecting batches or individual images and selecting 'Build S.. P' - same result..."there was an error.." it also then wont build 1:1 Previews or anything at all with those specific images. I've then tried 'Editing with PShop' - and the image is then corrupt and won't open ... however if I go back the SD Card and drag that image to desktop and 'Open with Camera Raw' - it opens and I can edit and save etc... but what is worrying is I have now discovered that images previously imported and worked on (and ONLY the Fuji XT3 RAF files) are now bring up "there was an error... Smart Previews not built"... when they previously have been!...

I work on an external HD (currently 2TB and it has quarter of the space left...). I will try importing direct from the camera via usb cable next and report back.

Ok, that does narrow it down pretty well. So the image is fine on the card and getting corrupted during the transfer or while on the hard drive. We'd usually suspect the card reader/cable first, but since older ones are also getting corrupted, that would point to a dying hard drive, dodgy hard drive cable or dodgy USB port as the most likely suspects.

Thank you. ... my thoughts were that it is upon transfer or some kind of 'index' issue... what I could try is import files to the HD... deselect 'Build Smart Preview' at import... then quit then run backup script immediately - which copies files and updated LR catalog to a 2nd ext HD - and try to import from the back up HD and see if that builds... then that may narrow it down.. I could also swap the usb cables from the drives... I also have 2nd Mac at another studio with current CC LR on - could try on that Mac too... (so many things to rule out!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back