• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Preview Cache problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin Page

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
I have an LR6 catalogue of 65,000 images on an Mac i27. Have been away from the computer travelling and when I returned to the computer and try to load LR6 the message is

"Lightroom encountered an error when reading from its preview cache and needs to quit."

My understanding is that LR should startup without the previews and will create fresh previews as required when images are accessed.

How do I get out of this conundrum please?

I am more than a little concerned that I may not able to access the thousands of hours of edits in my catalogue.

In your catalog folder, there is a folder called <catalog name> previews.lrdata. Move that to another place (or trash it) and start Lightroom.

Even though that worked, you might take some time and explore the disk for any other signs of problems. It is possible this was a lightroom bug, or inappropriate shutdown of lightroom, that corrupted one of the preview databases. It is also possible that it is a sign your disk had some failure or corruption.

At the very least a good time to make a fresh backup (not erasing any you have just in case the backup doesn't work).

Signed,
Always paranoid

Thanks for that wise advice. My i27 has been unstable in many other ways over recent months and my "MacMan" is scheduled to come and sort it. One habit is has developed is shutting itself down when left for a while and then when rebooted telling me I was rebooting after a problem and did I want a report? I do keep on top of the backups but will be doubly diligent now. I have been told that the very large catalogue is not a problem to LR but it would be a monumental problem if I ever lost it. I think my problems stem from when MacMan installed an SSD and me not quite understanding the system from that point and I may have made a couple of decisions that put the i27 off track. Thanks for your interest and concern.
Signed
Similarly paranoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back