Presets work differently after re-touch in photodhop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillsadam

Hi

so i use lightroom to catalogue and also try out presets on my images, fantastic toll but!

when I try a preset on a photo and find one i like, I then create a virtual copy, I reset it and go into photoshop and re-touch skin, when I save and it reappears as a tiff in the folder, but then the same preset behaves differently on that photo,

also once that photo is saved back in lightroom, can I re-open the tiff, with layers intact into photoshop, continue working and save back again?

any ideas?

Adam

Welcome to Lightroom Forums.

Presets may work differently on the original raw file vs. the TIFF that comes back from Photoshop because the TIFF has some changes already baked in. Note that the default settings for a TIFF have zeros for sliders which are non-zero for raw files.

Why are you resetting it before going to Photoshop?

The trip to Photoshop should be the last step in the post-processing workflow. Do everything you can in LR, then using the edit-in function do those things that you can only do in Photoshop (e.g. layers) last before you export the finished product from LR. The TIFF file passed back to LR is going to be a flat file (no Layers). The file coming back to LR is coming back primarily for DAM purposes so you can keep track of the file in your catalog.

Cletus - Can you not choose to save the image from Photoshop back to LR as a PSD...? in which case there would be layers intact.

As I understand it, any layers created during an 'Edit In Photoshop' process will be maintained when the Tif/PSD is returned back to Lightroom (though of course you cannot see individual layers in Lightroom, you will only see the selected top layer). If you subsequently open the returned file in Photoshop you will see the fully-layered file. Furthermore, should you choose to use Lightroom's 'Edit In Photoshop' option again on the previously returned Tif/PSD you will be given the following options:

1. Edit a copy with Lightroom adjustments. If you have made further edits in Lightroom on the returned file you can use this option to ensure that you see those adjustments in Photoshop...but this option will flatten the file, i.e. no layers.

2. Edit a Copy. A new version of the file is created, but this is a copy of the 'original' Tif/PSD. So any Lightroom adjustments are lost, but layers are preserved.

3. Edit the Original. This means the Tif/PSD file, not the original Raw file. Again Lightroom adjustments are lost, but layers are preserved.

Hope this clarifies things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back