• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • 21 February 2024 It's Lightroom update time again! See What’s New in Lightroom Classic 13.2, Mobile & Desktop (February 2024)? for all the update news. It's mainly new cameras, new lenses and loads of bug fixes in this release.

Preset names in italics

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Hoffman

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic CC (up to date)
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I noticed that some of my preset names show up in lighter text and in italics. Does anyone know why; thy seem to be working.

Those are presets that cannot be (fully) applied to the selected image. The reason is usually that those presets apply a raw-profile, but the selected image is a non-raw image. In Lightroom 8.0 these presets would simply disappear in that situation, but that was so confusing that Adobe has changed it this way.

Thanks for the prompt reply Johan. I think the first image I saw it with was a non-RAW. Since I cleaned up my folder I can't repeat that issue. But, I still see some that show up as italics even with a .CR2 file.

2019-01-05.png

Another reason could be that a preset applies a camera-matching profile and the selected raw image is from a different camera manufacturer, e.g. I have a preset which applies a specific camera-matching profile for my Olympus files, so that preset appears in italics if I select a CR2 from my Canon camera.

Hello! I am also having this issue with my VSCO presets.

I'm aware that VSCO stopped its development/support of Lightroom presets, but they've still been working for me on two difference Macbooks for the past several months.

However, I recently brought one of those Macbooks in for a repair, and they ended up doing a lot of work on it - replacing the logic board, etc. I just got it back, and reinstalled Lightroom, as well as the VSCO presets, but now those presets are showing up as grayed out and italicized. The presets are still fine on my other Macbook, the one that was not repaired. Both laptops are running on the same operating system (Catalina), and both have the same version of Lightroom Classic installed.

I'm wondering if anyone here might have an idea about why this could be happening - any settings that might have changed, or that I might have to update, etc. I'm at a loss!

Thanks much,
Rachel

Just to confirm, you have selected a Raw file and not a Jpeg or Tiff? Some (most?) of the VSCO presets appear to be specific to raw files, so if you have selected a non-raw file the presets can appear "greyed out and italicized" (provided the option to "Show Partially Compatible Develop Presets" in enabled on the Preferences>Presets tab). If that option is disabled, those presets will not even appear in the list when a non-raw file is selected.

Just to confirm, you have selected a Raw file and not a Jpeg or Tiff? Some (most?) of the VSCO presets appear to be specific to raw files, so if you have selected a non-raw file the presets can appear "greyed out and italicized" (provided the option to "Show Partially Compatible Develop Presets" in enabled on the Preferences>Presets tab). If that option is disabled, those presets will not even appear in the list when a non-raw file is selected.

Hi Jim,

Correct, they are all RAW files (CR2) - I have my two Macbooks side by side, and I've checked where the presets are located on the computer, the file types, the system and software versions...everything seems to be the same, except one one Macbook, the presets are italicized and grayed out, and on the other, they aren't. I'm using the exact same Lightroom catalog folder on each, imported from the same external hard drive.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back