• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Preset amount slider vs OPAL preset opacity slider

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan Roelof

Dog lover
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Does anyone here know if the new Preset amount slider is basically the same as what the OPAL plugin preset opacity slider does?
One difference I notice is that if you move the opacity slider of the OPAL plugin it actually moves the relevant sliders in the develop panels - the new preset amount slider does not.

I haven't used Opal, but as a plugin developer I was curious how it might differ from other preset fader plugins.

- LR's Amount slider goes from 0 - 200. I've tried all the sliders but for the few I tried, 200 means 200% x the original slider's value, 25 means 25% times the original slider's value. That is, this appears to be linear interpolation.

Whereas Opal goes from 0 to 15, where 10 means the original setting value. I couldn't find anything on Opal's web page that explains the meanings of the amount number, other than this vague marketing:

[Other plugins] assume that all settings should fade linearly – which works fine on some of the simple settings, but starts to break apart on others (particularly tone curves). SO, for Opal, I built a dynamic interpolation engine that produces better results than linear interpolation. Basically, it builds in my deep knowledge of Lightroom and preset design into Opal, so you don't even have to think about it.

The accompanying animated graphic of the Tone Curve looks like linear interpolation to me, but who knows.

- Opal's web page isn't specific, but it looks like the plugin hasn't been updated in several years? Does it support masks and other changes to Develop settings like Color Grading?

One difference I notice is that if you move the opacity slider of the OPAL plugin it actually moves the relevant sliders in the develop panels - the new preset amount slider does not.
They move in my LR 11.4 when I drag the Amount slider, but only after I release the mouse button.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back