Preparing Aperture Library Projects For Move To LR

Status
Not open for further replies.

traveler

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
My entire Aperture library 370 Gb is managed on my iMac.
I will be new to LR. I have studied a previous post here re moving from Ap to LR.
It is very valuable. My question is how to best prepare my Aperture library which
contains projects inside albums to make the transfer as seamless as possible.
I have been removing the subproject and putting into a larger project, but
not certain if this is necessary.

Welcome to the forum. I would make this suggestion first. Use the Aperture to LR Plugin first and simply see how well it does the conversion. If you are happy, then you are done. If not and you can see things that you could do in Aperture to improve the migration, the toss the first LR catalog file created, make what ever changes you feel necessary in Aperture and the re run the plugin to create a new catalog.

Some other suggestions. With 370 GB of Aperture images and other stuff, you might want to create smaller sub set aperture Libraries that are portions of your Master Aperture Library and run the plugin on these subsets for easier digestion.

Last edited:
Thank you so very much for both suggestions. Both are such brilliant ideas. Have been feeling a bit overwhelmed preparing to make this huge leap, so I never even thought of your two suggestions.
I am very grateful for your time and your expertise.

When I changed my managed Aperture library to reference prior to using the LR plugin, my Aperture Library in finder went from 370 Gb to 92Gb. Is this to be expected? I had created a new folder in my pictures folder and it now has 756 items, all in alphabetical order. These 756 folders are also there in LR folders. It treated the subfolders the same as topical folders. I feel certain I have made an error in the process. I will figure out how to delete this current catalogue and then create a new one, but before I do, I want to learn what error I have made. Including a screenshot to better describe my situation.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 7.56.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 7.56.01 PM.png
    101.1 KB · Views: 350
When Aperture managed your image files, they were hidden inside the Aperture Library (a folder package) When you changed the managed Aperture Library to a Referenced Aperture library, Aperture MOVED all of the previously hidden image files to a location in your Pictures folder where they are now available so that other apps like LR can reference them too. The difference of 278GB is the total size of all of your images. And they are now where you can see them.
Remember LR always manages by reference, so if you move, delete or rename these image files through Aperture or Finder, LR will lose the reference path now stored in the LR catalog file,

I recently moved from Aperture to LR and the plug-in was fairly painless, although I had a much smaller library than yours. Afterwards, I needed to tidy up the Projects I had inside Albums (which were translated as collections within a "From Aperture " Collection Set) so I suppose it is up to you whether you do it before or after the move. Doing it after at least forces you to learn some of the LR buttons!

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back