• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.

Posturization with tone changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
[size=small]Is anyone else seeing posturization in the shadow areas with slight tone changes?[/size][size=small]I ran into something i did not see on 2.7.[/size][size=small]Slight tone curve or contrast adjustment causing severe posturization. [/size][size=small]http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/1'465338/1/LR?h=e7'3a7[/size]

sizzlingbadger

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
I see it in the Library module sometimes due the quality of the previews but I haven't really noticed anything in Development or when printing. Out of interest does the Camera Calibration Profile make any difference ? I know a couple of the Nikon profiles that do bad stuff in the shadows.

Mark Sirota

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Are you talking about the edges of the blue patch? I suspect Fill Light may be the major contributor -- it works on a mask, and you can sometimes detect the edges of the mask, which could appear similar to posterization. Do you see it if you back off on Fill Light?

[quote author=Mark Sirota link=topic=11477.msg771'7#msg771'7 date=128873'239]
Are you talking about the edges of the blue patch? I suspect Fill Light may be the major contributor -- it works on a mask, and you can sometimes detect the edges of the mask, which could appear similar to posterization. Do you see it if you back off on Fill Light?
[/quote]

Fill light made minimal impact. The 3 biggest contributers were the tone curve, contrast slider and brightness slider.

I should have clarified about the images in dropbox.

There are 5 jpeg images and 4 screen shots with develop settings.

DNG - default LR import settings
Capture1 and the resultant jpeg 'one'
Capture2 and the resultant jpeg 'two'
Capture3 and the resultant jpeg 'three'
Capture4 and the resultant jpeg 'four'

Status
Not open for further replies.