• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • 21 February 2024 It's Lightroom update time again! See What’s New in Lightroom Classic 13.2, Mobile & Desktop (February 2024)? for all the update news. It's mainly new cameras, new lenses and loads of bug fixes in this release.

Positioning a printed image

MikeB

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 14 Sonoma
Hello, I’d like to ask more knowledgable members for advice on printing from Lightroom Classic.

I’m trying to print a 387 mm square image centered horizontally but 113 mm from the bottom. While centered properly, I can’t get the print module to properly fit the image vertically. No matter how I adjust the dimension (from the top or bottom), LR always prints 5 mm too low. After eight prints, I’ve quit wasting paper and ink, and request your helpful advice.

Basically, I don’t understand what the margin dimensions represent. They don’t reflect (in any way) the printer output. I’ve been struggling with the margins for the longest. Switching paper size between A2 or A2 boarderless doesn’t correct the problem. I must be misunderstanding something fundamental.

Hard and software: new MacBook Pro, Canon Pro-1000, all software is current, A2 Moab paper.

Thanks in advance!

Hello, I’d like to ask more knowledgable members for advice on printing from Lightroom Classic.

I’m trying to print a 387 mm square image centered horizontally but 113 mm from the bottom. While centered properly, I can’t get the print module to properly fit the image vertically. No matter how I adjust the dimension (from the top or bottom), LR always prints 5 mm too low. After eight prints, I’ve quit wasting paper and ink, and request your helpful advice.

Basically, I don’t understand what the margin dimensions represent. They don’t reflect (in any way) the printer output. I’ve been struggling with the margins for the longest. Switching paper size between A2 or A2 boarderless doesn’t correct the problem. I must be misunderstanding something fundamental.

Hard and software: new MacBook Pro, Canon Pro-1000, all software is current, A2 Moab paper.

Thanks in advance!
Could you post a screen shot of your print module screen please.
That may suggest an answer.
If that doesn't then maybe a screenshot of what you get after clicking on page setup and then maybe after clicking on properties in the print setup dialogue.

Here are some screen shots. With these setting the image is almost in the vertical position I need, just 4 mm too low. But No matter which dimensions I type into the bottom margin, I simply can't push the image the required height. Strange.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-10 at 14.34.17.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-10 at 14.34.17.png
    455.7 KB · Views: 35
  • screenshot-2.jpg
    screenshot-2.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 36
Sorry, I can't see the solution.
Googling shows people having varius problems with margins on that printer but I couldn't find anything similar to yours.
I had wondered if there was some sort of hardware limitation with the margins but I'm sorry I can't help. I hope someone more knowledgeable can help.

I do not see the problem.

I set up a test square image to print on A2, with image dims of 387x387 mm and with a bottom margin of 100mm.

The layout looks perfect.

Note. See (1)... I always click on Show Guides / Dimensions, to see the exact size of the image on the page.

With my printer ... I could even make the image 414mm x 414 mm and still fit on my Epson 3800. The paper margins are probably slightly different to your printer.

1707599081600.png

Here are some screen shots. With these setting the image is almost in the vertical position I need, just 4 mm too low. But No matter which dimensions I type into the bottom margin, I simply can't push the image the required height. Strange.
The bottom margin setting there is 16.7mm. Shouldn't that be 113mm?

Thanks, guys, for your assistance and suggestions.

To make a long story short, I've finally reached my goal, but (again) through trial and error. I'm printing for an artist who will be exhibiting, so time was becoming critical. In the end, I wasted a great amount of paper and ink.

Still, the margin dimensions seem meaningless. David, 113 mm was my initial setting but the image was painted far too high (higher than 113 mm). I've encountered similar results in the past with my Epson 3800 and Canon 9500, so I don't believe in hardware incompatibility.

Would the margin dimensions be correct, I was expect the top margin plus image (cell) height plus bottom margin to equal the height of an A2 sheet. When changing the bottom margin the top margin should change as well. But this doesn't happen! As far as I'm concerned, only the cell size is correct but the margins could just as well be lightyears since they don't depict the print - at least that's been my experience since LR day one.

A few weeks ago I migrated from my beloved 27" iMac (mid 2010) to this new MacBook Pro. Sadly, while (almost) all LR data was transferred, my print presets didn't. So now I need to battle those margins again to recreate the necessary print setting. I hate being dependent on manufacturers' no longer supporting computers, phones, scanners, printers, etc. and forcing us to "upgrade". But I digress.

Thanks all for your aid! Maybe some day I'll find a solution to my mysterious problem.

In Lightroom, changing, say, the top margin will not automatically change the bottom margin. If there is enough space, it will leave the image cell size alone, otherwise it will reduce the cell size to accommodate the reduced page real estate.

If your doing this regularly, it may be worth considering something like InDesign, Affinity Publisher or dedicated rip software.

Many people used Photoshop for years, before Lr arrived, but I prefer Lr for most of my printing.

You should be able to test printer specific printable margins, using say plain a4 paper and just print a box frame to indicate the position of the image... saving expensive paper and ink.

Thanks, guys, for your assistance and suggestions.

To make a long story short, I've finally reached my goal, but (again) through trial and error. I'm printing for an artist who will be exhibiting, so time was becoming critical. In the end, I wasted a great amount of paper and ink.

Still, the margin dimensions seem meaningless. David, 113 mm was my initial setting but the image was painted far too high (higher than 113 mm). I've encountered similar results in the past with my Epson 3800 and Canon 9500, so I don't believe in hardware incompatibility.

Would the margin dimensions be correct, I was expect the top margin plus image (cell) height plus bottom margin to equal the height of an A2 sheet. When changing the bottom margin the top margin should change as well. But this doesn't happen! As far as I'm concerned, only the cell size is correct but the margins could just as well be lightyears since they don't depict the print - at least that's been my experience since LR day one.

A few weeks ago I migrated from my beloved 27" iMac (mid 2010) to this new MacBook Pro. Sadly, while (almost) all LR data was transferred, my print presets didn't. So now I need to battle those margins again to recreate the necessary print setting. I hate being dependent on manufacturers' no longer supporting computers, phones, scanners, printers, etc. and forcing us to "upgrade". But I digress.

Thanks all for your aid! Maybe some day I'll find a solution to my mysterious problem.
So what size margin do you want at the top and at the sides, along with the 113mm margin at the bottom? What happens if you enter those values into the print module? Do they "stick" at what you have entered or do some of them get altered to different values?

I suspect some kind of printer hardware limitation?

I found with my Epson XP-8700 printer that if I wanted to print borderless onto A5 paper it would allow me to select borderless but in Lightroom (LrC) if I tried to alter the margins to 0mm it would tell me that "a number between 2.8 amd 138.6 is required. Closest value inserted." I later found out that the printer hardware was unable to print borderless onto A5 for some reason.

Yeah, Gnits, you're right. LR does not automatically change margins when positioning an image. That basically is my problem. But the margin dimension I choose also doesn't seem reliable. I should have printed using PS. Trials on A4 are cheaper but my prints needed to be A2. While I enjoy 99% or LRc, I'm not completely convinced by some of the recent developments (and, in my view, the printing module needs an overhaul).

Oh well, thanks!

So what size margin do you want at the top and at the sides, along with the 113mm margin at the bottom? What happens if you enter those values into the print module? Do they "stick" at what you have entered or do some of them get altered to different values?
David, I've achieved my required 113 mm bottom margin by setting 23 mm. Can't understand why, but it works. Since my Pro-1000 printer doesn't print borderless, I also don't know from where the bottom margin (shown in LRc) would be measured anyway (if it were correct): from the bottom of the printable area? from the bottom of the paper? with or without page bleed? I'd like to see a more intuitive printing interface in LRc with automatically adjusting margins. That can't be rocket science. And the goal should be to print without (much?) waste. Maybe I'm naive or simply missing something.

Attachments

• screen shot-3.jpg
    screen shot-3.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 8
Yes, printing a4 is just to test the behaviour of the margins, printer, Lr and printer driver combo and check accuracy.

I think Lr can query the printer to establish the min margins for that printer. Personally, I keep a min of 10-12 mm for all borders, but may have margins of 50 mm or more. I never print borderless. Also, mounting prints with narrow margins to work with is painful, especially larger prints.

Glad you made progress.

This should be easy to set up in LrC. The following is for a 7x7 inch photo printer on an 8.5X11 inch sheet of paper with a 3 inch margin on the bottom. This printed out perfectly with a 3 inch bottom and 1 inch top margin.

the formula
11 inch paper height - 3 inch bottom margin - 7 inch photo height = 1 inch top margin.
Left and right margins should be the minimum.

Put the values you calculate for your photo, paper and margins and it should print fine.

Screen Shot 2024-02-11 at 1.13.00 PM.jpg

Back