• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The August 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. Lightroom Classic includes advanced GPU support, batch HDR/pano merge and more. Lightroom (cloud-based service) has deleted photos on the desktop/mobile apps, as well as video support and batch metadata editing on Android. The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Pointers on moving from LR 8 to LR 7.5?

Alan in Oakland

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Classic version: 8.0 [ 1193777 ]
Operating System
macOS 10.14 Mojave
Hi

I have found two bugs (one and two) in the Lightroom Classic 8 Filter bar, which are making me think that this version was released too early, and I need to revert to 7.5. I'd like some pointers on how to do that.

Some questions:

Am I right that Lightroom 8 and Lightroom 7.5 have different file formats, and that 7.5 can't read the newer format?

Am I right that Adobe only allows you to have one version of Lightroom Classic CC on your disk at a time (at least that is what Creative Cloud says)?

One thought is to revert to 7.5, open up my last backup in Time Machine (not sure how to find it tho since my old and new have the same names), and then synchronize the folders. This will take hours (days) since I have about 130,000 images, and Lightroom will be unusable while I do this. Of course, if I screw up, then the time will stretch to weeks.

Any thoughts on a least painful way to revert to an earlier version?

Lightroom Experience
Power User
8 is really 7.6, just with the number rounded up. You can just uninstall 8 and reinstall 7.5 and open the same catalogue as before - but I think you are wasting your time doing so.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
"Am I right that Lightroom 8 and Lightroom 7.5 have different file formats, and that 7.5 can't read the newer format?"

No, this is wrong on both counts.

Alan in Oakland

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Thank you! (I don't know why I thought that there was a file format change).

If you have time, let me know why you think that I am wasting my time (before I do waste my time). At least one bug (location metadata filters) seems to have been clearly added in LR 8, and it is annoying.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Well, I was only really expressing that view based on your "making me think that this version was released too early", which I don't agree with. I hadn't noticed bugs like you describe and I haven't tested them for myself, but if they affect you, you can simply go back to 7.5.

It is expected that the file format would indeed change for a new major version, but bear in mind my "rounded up" comment.

Alan in Oakland

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Thanks John. After I posted this, I figured out that one of the bugs is much less serious than I had thought, but it is good to know how to downgrade.