• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The May 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. There's a brand new slider called Texture, available across the whole family of apps. Lightroom Classic includes a new tool called Flat Field Correction. Lightroom (cloud-based service) has lots of big improvements including cloud trash, invitation-only web galleries, improved chromatic aberration removal and more. The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes. You'll also notice the CC's have disappeared off the end of the names, so we've updated the forum names to match.

Plug In for LR 6.14 perpetual

Smorton

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Operating System
Windows 7, Windows 10
If one builds a plugin for LR 6.14 perpetual, do you need Adobe's permission to sell it?

Thank you.

SM

Zenon

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
I'm going to take a guess and say no for any plugin, for any version. Again that is just a guess.

Smorton

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
"No, you can do that." meaning you can develop a plugin for Lightroom 6.14 even if it restores the map module features that are now unsupported?

Thank you.

SM

Johan Elzenga

Lightroom Guru
Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
No, you don’t need permission to write a plugin. You can do that as long as you do not include hacked Adobe code in the plugin. I know there is such a ‘map restore’ plugin, although I do think that using it involves doing some hacking as well. It’s not a matter of placing this plugin in the usual Modules folder and that’s it. This plugin may indeed require you to do something illegal.

Zenon

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
I think there is already a plugin out there unless you want to build it yourself. I know Jeffrey Friedl has geotagging of some but I briefly read it was not the same. I don't know anything about it as I'm using CC. Never used the map module either.

Smorton

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
This would be different from Jeffrey Friedl's module as that takes you to an external link to Google Maps unless I don't understand his plugin. This one would not.

SM

Zenon

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
Found it. This is what I read about it so you are correct.

A great plugin for geo tagging photos. But unfortunately it only links to external maps and the Google Earth integration for visual tagging is often broken. So not really a replacement for the Maps module.

This is the other one I read about.

astuder/lightroom-map-fix

Johan Elzenga

Lightroom Guru
Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7

Zenon

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
I didn't know that. Thanks

Johan Elzenga

Lightroom Guru
Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
What exactly made you think this maybe is a licence violation?
Because you are patching the application itself, using hacked Adobe code. You only have a license to use Lightroom, not a license to change any code. And you don't have a license to use that hacked code.