• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Catalogs Please help! - corrupt catalog!

Status
Not open for further replies.

adeverell

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi, I have a problem with a corrupt catalog so looking for advice!

I use LR to publish images to my event photography website using TTG Backlight 2. Two weeks ago I had trouble with my laptop when I had about 1500 images to upload asap so moved the catalog to another PC with those images, uploaded to the web using Publish and a couple of days later moved the catalog and images back to the usual external hard drives connected to the laptop and linked the 'missing images' and all was fine. However when I tried to do the same last weekend I ended up with a catalog which doesn't pass the integrity test and LR can't complete a repair. The catalog will open and seems to work fine until I try to back up on exit.

I have a back up catalog from before the corruption however this does not have the last event's images. I would really like to avoid having to upload all the images to the website again (clients will be looking at them a lot for the next few weeks then it will quieten off) and I have another event tomorrow! Am I better to go back to the old catalog to add tomorrow's event and then in a few weeks time go back and import/publish last weeks images again................or can I keep working with the most up to date catalog even though it is corrupt?

Is there a way to set up the TTG Backlight galleries again (under Publish) and connect them to the folders on the website's server (Bluehost) without having to upload the images again? (my broadband is not so fast!)

Any advice appreciated!! (I have ordered a new laptop so hopefully once this issue is sorted I will be able to avoid all the swapping from one computer to another on the future, just need to get through this weekend first!)

Kind regards,
Aisling.

If you have a backup catalog before the corruption, then this is the place that I would start. Open It and make sure that it passes the integrity test on backup/exit. Once you are sure that you want this to be the new master catalog, then all future imports (add tomorrow's event) should be to this catalog file.
Now what to do about the images that are not in this catalog. You say that the corrupt catalog file opens and Lightroom appears to work fine until you exit. Try this:
  • Select all of the images that are not in your good backup catalog.
  • Use the "Export as a Catalog". function to create an exported catalog of just these images.
  • Open the new Master catalog and use the "Import from another Catalog" function to add these images into the new master catalog.

Great, thanks a million, I will try that! I have uploaded the new images with the old (not corrupt!) catalog so will try use the export/import as you suggest to add in the missed images.
Thanks again for the reply - much appreciated! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back