• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Playing video recorded in H.265 (HEVC Codec) in Lightroom Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeQi

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 9.1; Cloudy 3.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
  2. iOS
On a trip over the holidays, I recorded some video using my iPhone 11, which records by default in H.265 (.MOV format). These will not play in Lightroom Classic 9.1, which is really annoying. Interestingly, they play perfectly in Lightroom CC. When I travel, I load my photos into Lightroom mobile on an iPad, where I can begin to edit and sort them. I then sink them to Lightroom Classic when I get home and delete most of the Cloud copies. Using this work flow is how I realized that HEVC H.265 will only play on the Cloudy version and not on the Classic version. Does anyone know if this will be addressed? Classic is my primary platform, and I don't want to have to try and convert all these videos to a downgraded format.

LR Classic supports HEVC (H.265) on Mac but not Windows. LR Mobile supports it on iOS but not Android. LR Desktop (cloud) supports it on Mac but not Windows:
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc/kb/heic-files-support.html
A lot of people have asked for this, and the above article says, "Adobe is working on providing the support". Please add your vote to this feature request:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/hevc-support-for-lightroom-cc-mac
If you click Follow you'll be notified as soon as it gets implemented.

My informed speculation is that this is a licensing issue; see my post:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/phot...t[settings][reply_id]=20247000#reply_20247000

I have followed this up with the relevant people at Adobe, John. Unfortunately I cannot say more, but while it is a complex issue, it is not related to licensing.

I was also hit by Apple's default H265 and switched the camera settings to most compatible, so any new videos are H264. I converted my existing H265 videos using the Adobe Media Converter - I also heard good things about Handbrake HandBrake: Downloads.

It may be that Cloudy LR plays video using the OS.

There is hope, but I doubt it will happen soon. So the way forward is to stop accumulating more h265 and to find ways to losslessly-convert existing files to h264.

Still, why can't Adobe be more communicative on this?
They just aren't. For reasons of their own, they don't tell what they have planned. They never have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back