• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

"Pinning" or saving a "Favourite" folder / photo import source location?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
Hi - happy holidays ahead to all!
As I'm closing out the calendar year it hit me once again how FRUSTRATING in my daily work environment to, every time I import images, have to navigate within a VERY NESTED network/folder structure (very unique work environment yes, noted) and having to open every little triangle to dig down to source folder.

Every.
Stinking.
Time.

Does anyone know if there is a 'pin' function or "remember last location" etc?

Again, agreed this is a very non-standard working method but... it's how it has to be.

Thanks for any tips or tricks (or box of Kleenex to wipe my continued-woes-tears!)
:)

Jeff

In the Import Dialog, click in the "Select a Source" box top left, that will give a drop-down list of all recent sources, the most recent at the top. Clicking on any item in that list will indeed select that as the source for the new import.

Mine DOES open at the last location. I don't know of any setting that creates this behaviour, though. I'm on Windows, not macOS.

I’m on a Mac too, but I just about never dig through or even touch the source part of the Import dialog box. The reason is that the images I want to import are usually already visible in an open window in the Finder desktop, or sometimes in Adobe Bridge or another file browser. So I just drag and drop the images or folder from where I see them, and drop them on the Lightroom Classic application icon in the Dock. Lightroom Classic responds to that drag-and-drop operation by opening the Import dialog box with the dropped images selected for immediate import.

If Lightroom Classic is open to the Library module, you can also drop images into the application window, and the Import dialog box will pop up.

Basically, I try to avoid drilling down through nested folders whenever I can, so I look for shortcuts like drag and drop. Both Apple and Adobe generally do a pretty good job of supporting drag-and-drop as a time-saving shortcut for sending files between applications. (If an application makes you use the standard Import (Open) file system dialog box, the shortcut is to drop a file from the desktop into the file list in the dialog box; that makes the dialog box go straight to that folder, again avoiding having to navigate a folder hierarchy within the dialog box.)

If I didn’t use drag-and-drop, I would instead use the Recent list of sources that Jim Wilde talked about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back