• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Pictures on External Hard Disk/Lightroom and Photoshop on Mac Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
To reduce memory and avoid ‘crashing’, pictures moved to external hard disk. Can anyone advise me how to process the Pictures stored on external HD on Lightroom and Photoshop then to return them to external HD

Hi Rob

Same as if they were on an internal disk - makes no difference at all. Lightroom (and PS) just need to know where they are.

Paul

Paul
Thanks for that info. I am still unable to get the pictures from external HD on to Lightroom to process. Any help to guide me would gratefully received.
Many thanks
Rob

Rob

What do you mean by 'onto Lightroom'? Are they already listed in Lightroom? In a different location? Or have you not imported them as yet?

Rob

What do you mean by 'onto Lightroom'? Are they already listed in Lightroom? In a different location? Or have you not imported them as yet?
Apologies if I am not explaining situation clearly.
Originally programme for Lightroom/Photoshop and pictures were all on computer hard drive. To process a picture in Lightroom then click on appropriate heading(left side of screen) choose photo. Now those pictures are on an external Hard Drive. To process I need to have pictures from Hard Drive available to choose then after process return to external Hard Drive.
When I get Lightroom up on Computer there is a heading on left side ‘Hard Drive ‘ but Clicking on does not enter it.
Hope this helps but grateful anyway.
Rob

Hi Rob

Lightroom will see the photos wherever you tell it they are. So, it's not a case of moving them to process and moving them back.

Try reading through the following:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/move-photos-another-hard-drive-leaving-catalog/
also this will likely help:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-photos-missing-fix/
Tell us where you are then!

Paul
Thank you for the information so far. I think that I am nearly there just need a little more help.
In Lightroom I click on Folders + then Add Folder choose External Hard Drive. all the pictures from the Ext H D appear on Lightroom catalogue.
It invites me to ADD but I am nervous to do so because of warnngs on your Links 'Do Not Import'
in Lightroom the Folder is there but there are no Pictures in it. I assume that once the pictures are in the Folder I can process in Library/Develop
grateful of advice whether I am correct so far and whether I can safely click the ADD button
Rob

Thank you for the information so far. I think that I am nearly there just need a little more help.
In Lightroom I click on Folders + then Add Folder choose External Hard Drive. all the pictures from the Ext H D appear on Lightroom catalogue.
It invites me to ADD but I am nervous to do so because of warnngs on your Links 'Do Not Import'
in Lightroom the Folder is there but there are no Pictures in it. I assume that once the pictures are in the Folder I can process in Library/Develop
grateful of advice whether I am correct so far and whether I can safely click the ADD button
Rob

Quote Reply
Report Edit Delete

If you have previously imported these images when they were on the local drive that admonition is 'Do Not RE Import'. If these images have never been imported , then you will want to ADD them to the catalog in the location where LR has found them.
So, if you imported the images and LR thinks them on the local drive, they will show up as missing IF you moved them outside of LR to the EHD. If that is the case, then it is a simple matter of reconnecting the folder in the Folder panel (which should be showing a (?)) with the new location on the EHD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back