Not open for further replies.

msmack

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Is it true that if I save a PSD file with layers and if I go back and do anything to that file in LR, I lose the layers? If it is true, is there a way to work around this so my layers stay intact.

Yes and no. No, technically it's not true that you lose the layers. They will still be there, because Lightroom does not touch the original. Yes it's true, because any edits you make in Lightroom need to be applied at some point (for example when you export the image) and that is when the layers will be flattened and the Lightroom edits applied in order to create the exported derivative.

Is it true that if I save a PSD file with layers and if I go back and do anything to that file in LR, I lose the layers? If it is true, is there a way to work around this so my layers stay intact.
As from Johan- Yes and No.
My experience with Lr<>Ps workflow is this-
1. Select a raw file (NEF) and [Edit-In] Photoshop (no options given)
2. [Save] and 'Close' the file (as .TIFF by Lr preferences), and it appears back in the Lr library
3. Add some more Develop adjustments to the .TIFF in Lr
4. Select the .TIFF file and [Edit-In] Photoshop (this time options appear)
5. Choosing "Edit Original" (*** the image opens in Ps appearing as it was last in Ps without the Lr adjustments in step#3)
6. [Save] the file, and it appears back in the Lr library AND THE Lr ADJUSTMENTS IN Step#3 ARE RE-APPLIED automatically!

So the "work-around" is this- "Edit Original"
I believe that this workflow changed at some time with Lr updates. There was a time when you had to click back in the Develop History to re-apply the Lr edits after coming back from Ps.
It has its limitations, and gets complicated if you try to go Lr<>Ps repeatedly. Common advice is still to do as much in Lightroom as possible, then go to Ps for the 'finishing' touches.

Yes and no. No, technically it's not true that you lose the layers. They will still be there, because Lightroom does not touch the original. Yes it's true, because any edits you make in Lightroom need to be applied at some point (for example when you export the image) and that is when the layers will be flattened and the Lightroom edits applied in order to create the exported derivative.
If I am not exporting but want to go back to PS to do something else, I think the layers disappear.

If I am not exporting but want to go back to PS to do something else, I think the layers disappear.
Use 'Edit Original' in the dialog box that opens after you chose Edit in Photoshop. In that case you will get the layered file in Photoshop again, but without the Lightroom edits showing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back