Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Current Lightroom Classic
Operating System
  1. Windows 11
WhenI edit photos in Photoshop, how do I preserve layers when I return them to LRC? If I have to edit them again in Photoshop, they are flattened. Thanks much!

Solution
WhenI edit photos in Photoshop, how do I preserve layers when I return them to LRC? If I have to edit them again in Photoshop, they are flattened. Thanks much!
You can keep layers intact by choosing ‘edit original’ when you send the layered file from Lightroom to Photoshop again. It does mean that you will not see any Lightroom edits while in Photoshop (edits you applied to the image after it first returned from Photoshop), but on return in Lightroom the edits will show again.
Layers are preserved when returning the derivative to Lightroom Classic from Photoshop. However If you export from Lightroom Classic the Layers will be flattened to a single layer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I should probably also add that if you want to edit the derivative file containing layers using Photoshop again, you should choose the option to select the Original, not a copy or a copy with Lightroom Adjustments.

You can keep layers intact by choosing ‘edit original’ when you send the layered file from Lightroom to Photoshop again. It does mean that you will not see any Lightroom edits while in Photoshop (edits you applied to the image after it first returned from Photoshop), but on return in Lightroom the edits will show again.

Solution
Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back