Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 10.3 [ 202105281559-8dc50eb4 ]
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I apologize upfront. I am not a regular Photoshop user. What is the Photoshop Import Option all about? Below I have attached a screen shot from Photoshop of the option to import a selected image that apparently Photoshop automatically finds on in the Lightroom mobile folder (I use Lightroom Classic (desktop) but save photos from my mobile phone to Lightroom Mobile to later import into my Lightroom catalog). Please don't flame me.
photoshop-import-option.JPG

Lightroom Classic version: 10.3 [ 202105281559-8dc50eb4 ]
Adobe Photoshop Version: 22.4.2 20210602.r.242 a4f6042 x64

Solution
I still don't understand why PS uses the term "import" instead of just plain "open"? Import implies the photos may be copied or moved to another location.
I think that's a good question. To me, importing is about adding a file to an open Photoshop document (or catalog in the case of Lightroom Classic). It does seem like this feature is really opening files.
I am curious, Where, and how, are you seeing this (Import Selected) dialog?
Post a full screen clip to show better your situation.
Is this an 'Import' command in Photoshop's 'File' Menu?

Note: You should never have to 'Import' from your mobile phone. If you have the Sync turned 'on' in Lightroom-Classic your phone photos in Lr-Mobile will automatically download to the Classic Catalog and hard-drive location.

I believe your screen shot is just a portion of what I am showing below. If so, then to answer your question:
What is the Photoshop Import Option all about?
It’s a convenient way to open any of your synced Lightroom photos directly from inside Photoshop.
It’s an alternative to first selecting photos in Lightroom/Lightroom Classic to edit in Photoshop; instead you just open them without leaving Photoshop.

You got there by clicking the Lightroom Photos heading under Your Work on the Photoshop home screen.

apparently Photoshop automatically finds on in the Lightroom mobile folder (I use Lightroom Classic (desktop) but save photos from my mobile phone to Lightroom Mobile to later import into my Lightroom catalog).
No. This feature specifically does not look at any folders anywhere on the computer, and does not look at any Lightroom Classic catalog. It shows what’s in your Lightroom Photos account on the Adobe cloud servers — all files successfully uploaded through Lightroom Classic or Lightroom desktop on computer, phone, or tablet. In other words, you could sign into Creative Cloud from a new computer or a friend’s computer with none of your files on it, open Photoshop, and this screen would show you all of your Lightroom Photos* that are synced online.

That also means it would fail to load if you don’t have Internet access.

*Lightroom Classic stores masters locally, so any photo synced from Classic is only a Smart Preview.

Photohop-home-Lightroom-Photos-import.jpg

The other heading under Your Work is Cloud Documents. That shows you Photoshop files in Cloud Documents format that are stored on Creative Cloud servers. The main purpose of Cloud Documents is to provide easy access to the same document from the desktop and iPad versions of Photoshop.

It’s important to understand that Lightroom Photos and Photoshop Cloud Documents do not overlap or connect in any way. They are separate cloud storage areas. Each is that application’s way of storing its own document masters* on Creative Cloud servers.

I believe your screen shot is just a portion of what I am showing below. If so, then to answer your question:

It’s a convenient way to open any of your synced Lightroom photos directly from inside Photoshop.
It’s an alternative to first selecting photos in Lightroom/Lightroom Classic to edit in Photoshop; instead you just open them without leaving Photoshop.

You got there by clicking the Lightroom Photos heading under Your Work on the Photoshop home screen.

No. This feature specifically does not look at any folders anywhere on the computer, and does not look at any Lightroom Classic catalog. It shows what’s in your Lightroom Photos account on the Adobe cloud servers — all files successfully uploaded through Lightroom Classic or Lightroom desktop on computer, phone, or tablet. In other words, you could sign into Creative Cloud from a new computer or a friend’s computer with none of your files on it, open Photoshop, and this screen would show you all of your Lightroom Photos* that are synced online.

That also means it would fail to load if you don’t have Internet access.

*Lightroom Classic stores masters locally, so any photo synced from Classic is only a Smart Preview.

View attachment 16717

The other heading under Your Work is Cloud Documents. That shows you Photoshop files in Cloud Documents format that are stored on Creative Cloud servers. The main purpose of Cloud Documents is to provide easy access to the same document from the desktop and iPad versions of Photoshop.

It’s important to understand that Lightroom Photos and Photoshop Cloud Documents do not overlap or connect in any way. They are separate cloud storage areas. Each is that application’s way of storing its own document masters* on Creative Cloud servers.
Thank you for clarifying what I said about PS looking at the LR mobile folder. I wasn't thinking about the integration of LR cloud/mobile/classic with respect to adding mobile photos to LRC via LR mobile. I wasn't thinking about being that technical. I forget that these forums can often require very technically accurate descriptions when posting even the most simplest of questions. The screen shot you posted is a full screen shot of what I am seeing. I didn't think the full screen shot would be necessary but as previously alluded to, I should have known better, my bad.
Anyway, I appreciate your explanation and ability to understand my question even though I didn't ask it or display it in the most technically accurate way.
But that said, I still don't understand why PS uses the term "import" instead of just plain "open"? Import implies the photos may be copied or moved to another location.
Regards

I still don't understand why PS uses the term "import" instead of just plain "open"? Import implies the photos may be copied or moved to another location.
I think that's a good question. To me, importing is about adding a file to an open Photoshop document (or catalog in the case of Lightroom Classic). It does seem like this feature is really opening files.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back