Photos yellower when save from Photoshop to Lightroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

howdego

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
I use Lightroom 4 and CS6 on a win7/64 PC. When I edit a Lightroom photo in CS6 and save it back to Lightroom as a PSD, I notice that the PSD is more yellow than the original Lightroom image. This is verified in the PSD histogram, where the yellow portion is a little larger and uniform than the RAW version histogram. Lightroom is set to export in 16 bit AdobeRGB (1998), and Photoshop is also set to edit in 16 bit AdobeRGB (1998). My monitor was calibrated about a month ago, so that is unlikely to be the problem. Can anyone tell me why this might be happening?

The contact link on the website will probably trip up over the size of the raw file. If you go to www.wetransfer.com, it'll let you upload the files and then type in my email address members AT lightroomqueen DOT com as the person to send it to. (Replace AT with an @ and DOT with a . - just helps avoid some spam instead of typing my proper email address here on the forum. ;)) WeTransfer will then send me a link to download the files. You could email me a Dropbox link, as an alternative.

The contact link on the website will probably trip up over the size of the raw file. If you go to www.wetransfer.com, it'll let you upload the files and then type in my email address members AT lightroomqueen DOT com as the person to send it to. (Replace AT with an @ and DOT with a . - just helps avoid some spam instead of typing my proper email address here on the forum. ;)) WeTransfer will then send me a link to download the files. You could email me a Dropbox link, as an alternative.

Just sent two photos through wetransfer. Never heard of the service before. Could come in handy in the future. Sent to members@...... Hope that is right. Hope this helps.

Got them, thanks. Yeah, it's a great service - I've found it useful because there's no sign up required.

I'm not sure whether this is good news or bad news - but when I try it, the photos appear identical in both programs. So I'm still wondering about monitor profile.

In the photos you've sent me, if you edit in PS, save the photo, and then compare the PSD/TIFF with the raw file back in LR, do they still match (essentially - I'm not worried about a 0.2 difference). If so, that would definitely point to calibration issues.

Got them, thanks. Yeah, it's a great service - I've found it useful because there's no sign up required.

I'm not sure whether this is good news or bad news - but when I try it, the photos appear identical in both programs. So I'm still wondering about monitor profile.

In the photos you've sent me, if you edit in PS, save the photo, and then compare the PSD/TIFF with the raw file back in LR, do they still match (essentially - I'm not worried about a 0.2 difference). If so, that would definitely point to calibration issues.

Victoria,

I took a totally unedited photo from LR, opened it into PS, saved it immediately to LR. The snip of the before (RAW) and after is attached. The readings on one spot were more than .2, specifically,

75.8 76.3
73.3 73.8
69.8 69

You can see the differences in the snip skies and cobblestones. On other photos, I have seen slightly larger spot color differences. My monitor is calibrated. Even if wrong, every picture should be equally wrong, to the best of my knowledge. So my assumption is that one of the programs is not handling the colors correctly, due to some setting I have wrong in one of the programs, or an inherent fault in one program.

Do you disagree?cycled thru PS.jpg

Yeah, I can see it, particularly on the ground at the front, but I can't explain it. That's quite a shift. My next port of call, if it was my machine, would be to uninstall CS6 and reinstall it, to make absolutely sure it got the updates. It could be useful to get someone on Windows to try it too though - perhaps it's a bug in the windows version of ACR.

Yeah, I can see it, particularly on the ground at the front, but I can't explain it. That's quite a shift. My next port of call, if it was my machine, would be to uninstall CS6 and reinstall it, to make absolutely sure it got the updates. It could be useful to get someone on Windows to try it too though - perhaps it's a bug in the windows version of ACR.

WELL, Turns out you were right!

With nothing else to try, I took your advice and uninstalled PS. However, I was unable to install it again. After some assistance from the second level tech at Adobe, we determined that something corrupted my operating system. likely the PS uninstall. Soooo, I had to wipe my hard drive and reinstall all the software. But, I am happy to report that after the reinstall and monitor callibration, the Lightroom and PS images now have the same colors.

Still don't know if PS installed improperly in the beginning, or if I had an OS problem all along, which I doubt as everything else was working ok. I learned a lot about color management and settings in the process, so I thank everyone for your help.

If you open the Raw file directly in Photoshop (not from within Lightroom), the ACR Dialog will come up. Go to the Camera Tab and see what Calibration is being applied. Compared that to the Calibration you've selected in Lightroom's Calibration Tab. Is it the same profile being applied in Lightroom and ACR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back