• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Photos Tagged In-Camera Don't Show As Tagged In Lightroom Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason_2

Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic 11.0
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
Hi, My workflow for sports and some other events, is to tag selects in camera and then show only tagged images when I ingest with photo mechanic. That way I can just see the images I already know I want to process and send quickly. I then just edit them in photoshop and ship to the client one way or another. Lightroom does not seem to recognize the tags that are set in-camera. This is true for both Sony and Canon cameras so I assume it's the same for all. Am I missing some setting in Lightroom, or is this just an odd feature fail of LR? It seems weird that LR wouldn't see the tags that are set in cameras. It would make life a lot simpler for me for a few reasons if I could get LR to show just the images tagged in camera, or even better, like in Photo Mechanic, only ingest the images that were tagged in camera. I suspect I'm just missing a setting in LR. Anyone know anything about the issue?

What are you calling a “tag” Lightroom and other apps honor EXIF and IPTC field that have been set in the header. There is no field called a “tag”. There are Rating field and Label field in the File header. Of all of the Header fields being set by PM, which one are you using? If you can identify the IPTC/EXIF Field that is getting set in the image file, then we can help you recognize it when it gets to Lightroom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess I understand your comment to mean that "tagging" the photo in camera which is read by PM as "tagged" (PM images have a checkbox that if checked is referred to as a tag) might map to some other field in LRC. I assumed the checked box would map to the "flag" in LRC since it serves the same function as the checked box or "tag" in PM. I'm not sure how to figure out where else it would map to. I see no indicator in the EXIF or IPTC info of a tagged image in PM that makes the connection. Perhaps asking the question of Camera Bits (manufacturer of PM) would be a better place to start.

Ok... one thing that might make this clearer is that by "tagging" in-camera, I mean protecting the file from deletion. Sorry...I've just thought of it as tagging for years since that's what PM refers to it as. I now understand that LR does not expose this bit of the metadata, or if it does I don't know how to find it to use it to sort by. This thread on the adobe forum implies it is not currently available. Lightroom Classic & Ecosystem: Import only picture...https://community.adobe.com › Lightroom Classic › Ideas Lots of ways to work to work around this, but none as elegant as LRC implementing what should be a pretty easy feature. If anyone knows a way for LRC to show protected images please respond. Thanks.

What you are doing in the camera is setting a “bit” in the header that prevents the camera from deleting that file from the SD card. Once you create a new copy of the file (import to the HD), the new file does not get that bit set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hadn't heard that term "tagging" used like that before, but a little googling shows it's a pretty common usage. As you discovered, having better LR support for in-camera locked/protected files is an old feature request. Over the years it's received just 21 votes, more than most requests get but not enough typically to grab Adobe's attention.

"Lots of ways to work to work around this, but none as elegant as LRC implementing what should be a pretty easy feature. If anyone knows a way for LRC to show protected images please respond."

There are two plugin solutions:

- Locktastic identifies locked/protected/tagged files in LR but requires that you use a method other than LR for transferring photos from the camera card to folders on your disk. The author @johnbeardy is a contributor here and probably has more authoritative information to contribute.

- Ottomanic Importer could identify and import locked files directly from the camera card. But the author passed away many years ago. A few users have reported that some of his plugins still work, though I haven't seen any reports about Ottomanic Importer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back