• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Catalogs Photos missing after corrupted catalog

Status
Not open for further replies.

hafeatherston

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic CC subscription
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I am using the subscription version of Lightroom Classic . My photos and catalog are on an external hard drive. Last night the catalog got corrupted (no idea why that happened) and could not be repaired. (It actually crashes a lot, but its never corrupted before) Fortunately I backup often, so I followed the instructions on this site to restore my catalog. I can now open the catalog, but a number of photos are marked "Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo", so no photo is displayed, but the file name and metadata are there. Other photos are marked "Photo is missing". The photo is displayed, but can't be accessed. I tried the normal procedure to relink those photos, but when I checked my file where the photos actually reside, the photos are not there. And in that folder about a third of the photos now have another file with a jpg-1 extension represented by a blank page (and the files cannot be opened).
Can a corrupted catalog corrupt the actual photos too? I have backups of my photos, so I could just add those that are missing back into the file or I could try an earlier backup, but I can't see how that might restore my photos.
I would appreciate any insight into my predicament. Thanks.

I have never heard of a corrupted catalog corrupting original photos too. Lightroo only (sometimes) reads photos, it does not write them, so I would be surprised if this happened. One exception makes the rule: if you set in the preferences that Lightroom should automatically write changes to XMP, and your originals are not proprietary raw files but DNG, or RGB files like JPEG or TIFF, then Lightroom does write to these originals... Some people advocate writing to XMP as a kind of backup, but this would mean you better do not do so.

I have backups of my photos, so I could just add those that are missing back into the file or I could try an earlier backup, but I can't see how that might restore my photos.
I don’t understand this remark. Of course that would restore your photos. What else is the purpose of backing them up?

Thanks so much for the quick responses.
I meant an earlier catalog backup wouldn't restore my photos.
I was writing xmp data, so I turned that off. It sounds like I should just add back the missing and unreadable photos and hope that fixes it? Do you agree?

Thanks so much for the quick responses.
I meant an earlier catalog backup wouldn't restore my photos.
I was writing xmp data, so I turned that off. It sounds like I should just add back the missing and unreadable photos and hope that fixes it? Do you agree?
Yes, start with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back