• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Photos in Catalog can't be found where they should be after relocating catalog

Status
Not open for further replies.

larry8533

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Lightroom Classic on MacOS Catalina 10.15.7

Lightroom Build
Lightroom Version.png

My catalog has over 500k of photos.

I work in two locations, for several months at a time at each location.

When I change locations, I do the following:

• I synchronize my entire Lightoom folder, containing database and catalog, to an external USB drive
  • I take the drive to my other location
  • I synchronize the external USB drive to the second location - the entire Lightroom folder, containing database and catalog.
  • The catalog from the external USB drive replaces the catalog at the second location
  • I then use this replaced catalog

I have been doing this successfully for some time.

HOWEVER, this procedure is not working anymore. All the photos in the catalog now point to the external USB drive, not to the local drive. I can reattach them manually, but it is a very long process.

If I rename my local drive to match the name of the external USB drive, could this solve the problem?

Is there another method of getting the catalog to look for photos on the local drive?

Thanks.

If I rename my local drive to match the name of the external USB drive, could this solve the problem?
Do you use some synchronisation utility to sync with the external drive? In that case, the links in the catalog should still point to the (original) internal drive. And if the internal drive of the second computer is named the same, then Lightroom should point to the same location on that drive after the second sync. A sync utility does not read the catalog and does not change anything in it.

If you do not use a separate utility, then how exactly do you ‘sync’ the catalog?

Is there another method of getting the catalog to look for photos on the local drive?
You do not talk about the images. Where are these and are these synced as well? If you store the images in a subfolder inside the catalog folder, then Lightroom will use ‘relative links’ to the images and disregard the drive name completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back